Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tropical plant IDs

Posted by gusolie (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 14, 09 at 9:39

Already posted this in the Florida and Tropical Forums, but also here might find some help. I came across some plants that seem so familiar but I couldn't find anything in my books to help identify them.

I am hoping to get the BOTANICAL name, but just the genus would really help!

Thanks!
#1 in the Acanthus family:
2011_01023rdflorida0146

#2 also in Acanthus family, is this a cultivar of Eranthemum?
2008_01012ndfloriduh0012

#3 Do sea grape species have red flowers?2008_01012ndfloriduh0158

#4 What cultivar of copperleaf (acalypha wilkesiana) is this?2003_01014thfla0120

#5 This is THE zinger of the trip--it has 4 petals and 4 more (so not a hibiscus), leaves are kinda like mulberry...2011_01023rdflorida0042

and its seed pod is a little thing like a green rumbutan!
2011_01023rdflorida0043

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tropical plant IDs

#5 Annatto (Bixa orellana L.)

A versatile plant, the red seeds within the ripe pods are used as spice, and the red pods themselves are sometimes used in floral arrangements--dry or fresh. It's called few names, but the common name I mostly hear is achiote and lipstick plant.

Thinking about how the spice is used in many dishes is making me hungry...

o
RE: Tropical plant IDs

randg, thanks for the post, but it is clearly not lipstick plant. Bixa has five petals and red pods. This has four petals and the fruits are light green and fine haired.

Someone IDed it for me as Bolo Bolo - Clappertonia ficifolia.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here