Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to grow Liko Lehua

Posted by haku 96792 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 1, 06 at 13:09

Aloha Kakou!

I wanted grow a Ohia tree. I bought a plant that died but now I going to the Hilo and My brother in law has plenty land on the Big Island and Ohia on it woooo hooo lol.

My question is I would like to uproot one, but I don't know what I am doing lol. I don't want to destroy the land or the Ohia, so am I looking for a big stump with roots on it? or small starters? Is seed what I have to start with?

And since I visiting how may I keep it until I reach home?
When would it be ready for the pot?

I'm not ready for the ground yet I would like to start off in the pot. When I do put it in the pot what kind of soil and fertilizer does it need to keep up in the Waianae weather and keep it strong?

Mahalo for reading

Aloha, Haku

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to grow Liko Lehua

You gotta water ohia everyday in Waianae or it will die. Ohia has to have water, main thing.

Hilo ohia are used to being very wet. It's easier to just buy one that's been doing well on Oahu. Kind of hard to lug a potted plant on the plane. I don't think you can take soil between islands. But anyway, your brother's plants are free right?

Maybe you can get seeds from a plant already growing on Oahu. Shake the seed capsule over a pot of moist potting soil. Transplant keiki when they have 2 sets of leaves. Ohia grows pretty slowly. It could take a year to get a 2-foot plant from seed.

You can use 2 parts potting mix to 1 part cinder to grow ohia in a container.

Use a slow release fertilizer like Osmocote, the one that has all the numbers the same (like 14-14-14, for example)

I recommend Heidi Bornhorst's book, "Growing Native Hawaiian Plants." Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here