Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dereila

Can you name any of these flowers?

Diphoto
18 years ago

Had a great trip to Hawaii and with my interest in the birds and the flowers, I took a few picture. I managed to get the name of some of these flowers but need help with a few others. Does anyone know the names of the missing titles? Hope you can help, thanks. Derrick

Here is a link that might be useful: Hawaii Flowers

Comments (10)

• Anakaleki
    18 years ago

B-Crown of Thorns, Euphorbia milii

Morning glory mislabeled? It just didn't look like the kind I usually see.

C-bromeliad, Guzmania

D-not sure, I thought it was oleander at first glance

E-some kind of plumeria

H-red ginger, Alpinia

L-Pride of Barbados, Caesalpinia pulcherrima?

O-plumbago?

P-some kind of bromeliad

• Diphoto
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to help me out a little, its appreciated.

• ilima
    18 years ago

Ok here goes,
    A. Leonotis nepetaefolia
    D. Definately Oleander
    E. Plumeria
    F. The same as what you have labeled as a morning glory, just a different color. They are not morning glory but I'm not sure what. Common weed here.
    H. Tillandsia
    J. Poppy-Argemone mexicana
    K. Kou-Cordia subcordata
    M. Blue Daze, not sure botanical name maybe Convolvulus mauritanicus
    N. Morning Glory- Ipomoea sp.
    O. Plumbago
    P. Aechmae sp.
    R. Weed in Compositae family

Your getting closer to a finished list.

ilima

• Diphoto
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for the additional names. It is helping to finish up the page. We are planning on going back to Hawaii next March and will look out for more flowers and birds. This is my Hawaii site where it all starts.

Here is a link that might be useful: HAWAII

• Anakaleki
    18 years ago

I just found a mistake, I meant G to be ginger, not H.

• richardqld
    18 years ago

The blue daze is Evolvulos pilosa.

• Matt G
    18 years ago

The plant labeled "Cordia subcordata" looks more like Cordia sebestena. C. subcordata is indigenous and was also brought to Hawai'i by the polynesians. C. sebestena is not native to Hawai'i.

The plant labeled "Hibiscus" is Hibiscus arnottianus. This one is endemic to Hawai'i. The Hawaiian name for it is Koki'oke'oke'o (koki'o is the name given to most Hibiscuses, and ke'oke'o meaning white).

• poiu
    18 years ago

I think I can help grind it down further:

What you currently have labeled "Brownea" is much more likely a Powderpuff (Calliandra haematocephala), based on the small leaves and clubbed young flower heads.
    The Angel's Trumpet botanical name would prolly be better listed as (Brugmansia x candida).
    botanical name on Oleander (Nerium oleander).
    The plumeria pic next to the bouganvillea is prolly (Plumeria rubra forma tricolor).
    The heliconia is the famous Lobster Claw (Heliconia rostrata).
    Next to the ixora you have it listed as a tillandsia, and I think someone above already mentioned it was a Ginger (Alpinia purpurata) probably.

The small leaves of hte ixora lends me to say it's (Ixora 'Petite Red')

Then, "h" is some type of Tillandsia.

Spider lily botanical either of two possibilites: (Crinum amabile) or (Crinum augustum), safest is to do (Crinum sp.)

I, too, think it's (Cordia sebestena)--if there is no hawaiian name for this exotic, it's known as Geiger Tree.

the Blue-Daze is truly (Evolvulus glomeratus), Evolvulus pilosus is misapplied to this plant by nurseries and publications.

The silver leaf aechmea looks to be the Silver Vase (Aechmea fasciata).

Shell ginger's botanical is (Alpinia zerumbet).

That last is definitely a Tabebuia, but the botanical u have is foreign to me, so I can't touch that one!

Hope you can feed on whatever info you want for htat picturesque page!

Finally, Cyanea, Here on the US Mainland, the standard definition for a native is "present at the time of European inflitration--circa 1500."

So, I'm curious to see what/how Hawaii has defined native--if in the same manner or different parameters since the native peoples did seem to bring many plants from southeastern asia westward into Oceania.

• Diphoto
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Greetings poiu. Thank you so much for all the info and the time you have taken on this. Its much appreciated. I have another trip all booked up to Hawaii next March, so perhaps I may be able to add a few more images. Thanks again.

• Diphoto
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you all for the help. I've up dated the page a little and will check out those other posts to see if they have all been added. Thanks again This is the site so far.

Here is a link that might be useful: THE FLOWER PAGE OF HAWAII

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus