Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spike_gw

Welcome!

-spike-
20 years ago

I hope there are enough islanders around to keep this a busy forum!

There's also an exchange area to this forum, you'll see links at the top and bottom of the message list.

Have fun!

Spike

Comments (21)

• Manoa
    20 years ago

Mahalo Spike. There are a few transplanted islanders who have problems growing tropicals on the Mainland!

• venezuela
    20 years ago

Hola, there are others of us in tropical lands that will be following this forum closely. I am sure there will be lots of interest here for all of us tropical gardeners.

• tommyc
    20 years ago

Mahalo... (Thank You)

• roanimare
    20 years ago

Aloha and Mahalo --

Thanks Spike! I will be reading with great interest on this forum. I live in Hawaii for a time and always enjoyed the Islands, the people, and the plants.

Mikala --
    Michele

• dig_on_maui
    20 years ago

aloha to all who join us.

i am on the island of maui, and so so enjoy being out in the garden.

looking forward to reading all your interests.

nani

• Tourmaline3
    20 years ago

Mahalo nui loa, Spike!!
    I'm on the island of Kauai, and I will enjoy this forum a lot!! We definitely have some different growing conditions, than most of the mainland. This should be great!!!
    Aloha, Christine

• Rugosalover
    20 years ago

Mahalo Spike!!

Im originally from the Big Island. Ive always enjoyed the forum and would like a bring a little bit of home here in the mainland. Im looking forward in reading the threads

Mae

• Tropictype
    20 years ago

Mahalo Nui Loa Spike. So many websites don't even acknowledge Hawaii as being a part of the USA! It should be fun to share info with fellow islanders, and with our remoteness and strict ag rules, I see plant swapping within the islands a definite possibility.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    20 years ago

This is great! I have several plants that have naturalized in Hawai'i. I want to closely follow the discussions from all of you islanders to try to learn more about your year-round climates so I can try to artificially match it for my plants.

Thanks Spike!!!! :-D

• Herbiesleepy
    20 years ago

I'm being stationed at Pearl Harbor next year and wondered what to expect for a growing season. I'm looking forward to the year round temperate climate after being stationed in upstate New York because I'm from Florida. When do most of you plant out your veggies?

• Manoa
    20 years ago

Aloha e Herbie,

I'm not certain on growing season - seems like we plant year-round. You'll be at Pearl Harbor but where are you living? Some areas are very dry and some get morning dew every day.

What type of vegetables are you interested in? Growing up in a tropical valley we grew mostly fruit and Chinese-type vegetables (bok choy, snow peas). I'm never heard of people in our area having success with tomatoes or basil.

You'll have a great time! An officer (I think) and his family recently moved into a rental house across the street from my parents. They are having a blast with local food and EVERYONE in the family coming out to visit.

• stephbairey
    20 years ago

I'm in Puna (east side of the big island) and look forward to discussing the gardening paradise that is Hawaii. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Some Plants in Hawaii

• Ray103
    20 years ago

Hi
    I have visited hawaii three time in the past its a wonderfull place just wish i could live there. Thats what got me hooked on tropical plants.Just today orders two plumeria hope i can look after them through winter. Have to put central heating on full me thinks.Hope one day to go back have to win lotto hope your new forum goes well oloha

• Matt G
    20 years ago

Hello people of Hawaii, the USA, and Da World!
    Well I am very thankful to have the opportunity to share a forum with my fellow ppl of the islands, dont we all love this Island Chain? Like really really Love with a capitol L. Well I got too much to say about this, for the whole time I was in garden web the was California gardening, Florida, etc.. No Hawaii, well lookie now hahhaa. I hope that we will all increase our knowledge through the use of this forum. for gardening, and remember Conservation goes FIRST, Malama o ka Aina. . Mahalo Mahalo Mahalo, Mahalo Nui Loa.

Aloha.

Matthew Garma

Here is a link that might be useful: Hawaiian Plants...

• tandavsar
    20 years ago

I have recently started my gardening in my new home in town. I planted Iris' (which I will be pulling out due to pests) a Canna lily, local fern and attempting to grow a few lavandulas (lavender). I would like some suggestions on local plants that are hardy and not too big or bushy, and floral. Any ideas? I bought croton and I'm debating on the torch and heleconias because of their heights. Don't they grow up to about 6'?

Mahalo & Aloha to all!

• hopetheylive
    20 years ago

This is neat! Finally, a forum that addresses the uniqueness of Hawaii and others in our zone! I'm not the greatest gardener but I've got a lot of enthusiasm (started way back at the age of 6 when I planted popcorn kernels!)

I started off in this website because I was smitten with antique roses, which I've been trying to grow for the past 3 or 4 years. I'm stopping because of endless problems with blackspot and the Chinese rose beetle (which is a big problem in Hawaii, I think). Going to concentrate on a kitchen garden instead.

Looking forward to sharing experiences and solving problems with all of you!

Leilani

• jillnalani
    20 years ago

Aloha everyone,

This is a wonderful site, for those of us that were born in Hawaii but now live far away. Parents lived on Molokai for over 40 yrs. Grew up on Oahu, windward side in Kaneohe. I am currently in Phoenix, where gardening tropicals is a challenge.

Mahalo nui loa to whomever put this site together...

{{gwi:882082}}

• thad_huffman
    20 years ago

Is there really someone named Spike or is this his position?...Thad

• KonaPhil
    20 years ago

Aloha all.
    I ran into this forum while on the pond forum. It is a good idea and needed, but doesn't seem to be to active. Thanks for starting Spike. What are you doing starting this forum from Mass. How can we develop more exposure to this site in the Islands?

Mahalo
    Phil

• MissGardner
    20 years ago

Right on!So glad this site was recommended :-) /started up
    I am a Carpetcleaner/farmer on the BigIsland....Honaunau area.
    Bud W

• earthteller
    20 years ago

Hi, Hawai'ians!
    What vegetables do well on the Big Island, specifically in the Kapoho region?
    My brother has recently moved there and asked my advice, but my organic gardening experience is in Oklahoma! I understand your bugs can be as fierce as ours, but they are different ones of course. What veggies can stand up to them, or how do you protect them?
    Thanks,
    earthteller

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner