Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new slug species? rat lungworm?

Posted by sailawaymary 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 12, 09 at 16:20

I am in Honolulu and made a 9 month effort to control slugs in my yard - pretty successful. Now, suddenly there are a whole bunch of "new" slug species in the yard - slugs that I have never seen before. They are much fatter and bigger, some are spotted, and there are different colors.
Anyone else noticing changes in the slug species?
And, are other Oahu folks concerned about getting rat lungparasite in their own gardens? What are you doing about it? I'm wondering if I should buy one of the "vegetable soaps" at the health food store.
Aloha,
sailawaymary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new slug species? rat lungworm?

Just the usual ginormous suspects here.

Rat lungworm?? Good grief, what is that!!

o

I read the Honolulu Advertiser article about the rat lungworm few months ago and this is why I rarely use fresh greens in my garden. I throughly wash and usually quickly blanch them, like the okinawan spinach, potato leaves, mizuni cabbage, portuguese cabbage, etc. The only greens I eat in the garden without blanching them is the green onions--this I make sure I wash it good.

o

opps...wrong newspaper and article. I meant this Star-Bulletin article.

o

wow, thanks for the link, i hadn't seen the article before. Usually i give any green thing a soak in water with vinegar/salt added, hope that's sufficient.

o

so how did you control the slugs? I hate them!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here