Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucia_strougo

Visiting Hawaii

Lucia_Strougo
20 years ago

Aloha!!!!

I will be visiting Honolulu and Maui on sept 19 and would love to see the Botanical Gardens and buy seeds and cuttings of your beautiful flora.

Are there any interesting nurseries or seed stores?

Thanks for the information.

Lucia

Comments (7)

• Manoa
    20 years ago

Aloha Lucia,

What type of plants are you interested in? On O'ahu there are some great orchid nurseries and Mau'i has protea.

botanical gardens:
    The most well known is Foster Botanical gardens in Honolulu.
    Lyon arboretum. (right near my parents house)
    Queen Kapiolani gardens

Heck - use this page. Lists gardens for all islands. http://www.hawaii.edu/sciref/oahugrdns.html#lyon

• Lucia_Strougo
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Hi, Manoa
    Thank you so much for the site. I will sure visit most of the gardens.
    I am looking for seed stores or garden centers in Oahu, that carry seeds , bulbs and garden supplies.
    Thanks
    Lucia

• Matt G
    20 years ago

Hi, While your here in Hawaii, its the only time youll ever really get to see native Hawaiian plants. I think you should take advantage of that. Our butiful flora is in the Natives. Yea many nice hybrids originate here too, but the natural flora is what makes Hawaii unique. There are a few native nursuries on O'ahu. I know of two located in Waimanalo on the southeren windward side of O'ahu. Rick and Matt own a native nursury in Waimanalo, and Dennis Kim also owns a nursury in waimanalo. Though i see you live in Brazil doesnt that place hold some great biodiversity? Just watch out when it comes to introducing plants. I think the natives should stay where they are native to. About the horticultural world here in hawaii i dont know that much, my knowledge in the Hawaiian horticultural community lies in the native plant community. but yea jus to get more people to know more about hawaiian plants.

• Jungle_Jim
    20 years ago

OMG! If you are visiting Maui you have to stop by and see something spectacular. Now, I lived there many years ago, but just south of Lahaina on the water side is a Sago Palm of unbelievable proportions. If you truly want to see something prehistoric and magical take the time to find it. The house is surrounded by gardens. I used to walk by this home on a very regular basis and admire the plantings and one day the gardener was out front. I complimented him on his gardens and he then told me he was 'just the gardener' but would I like to look around? Yes!!! He took me to the back yard and I admired a very large Sago Palm that was near the house itself. He said 'oh that's nothing, come look at this'....LOL... he took me down closer to the water edge of the yard and had me turn around 'and look up'....OMG...my heart stopped beating and I didn't know what to do. The huge Sago I was admiring was simply one of the smaller pups of the Mother Tree! This plant should be in the Guinnes book of world records. It is phenomenal. I could only stand there with my mouth dropping open and stare at it. The gardner just laughed and laughed. I'm tellin' ya, you've never seen anything like it in your life. It has to be thousands and thousands of years old. Jim

• Rugosalover
    20 years ago

Heres a link of gardens that I got off from the Honolulu Star Bulletin newspaper on Oahu, hope this helps.

http://starbulletin.com/2003/08/07/features/

Look at the far left and scroll down until you see garden and click on the link. It will show you all of the community gardens there. If you have a hard time finding it, email me and Ill email you the list.

Mae

• Lucia_Strougo
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thank you so much for all the information!!!!
    I will try to post the pictures of the beautiful Gardens I visit there.

• Maui_Chic
    20 years ago

I saw an incredable Sago alo on BI at Painted Church...in S Kona in June, I bought 3 plants from Tropical Gardens of Maui and had them shipped, in Wailuku near Iao Valley. On BI, I bought a nice mickey mouse anthurium at Akatsuka Orchid Gardens in Volcano...probably best quality. Have a great trip...wish I was going with you!