Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maltman_gw

uhiuhi

Maltman
20 years ago

Is anyone growing the native Hawai'ian uhiuhi (Caesalpinia kavaiensis) in their garden? It is a beautiful little tree. When I lived on Oahu makai I had several. I always felt it was overlooked in the native plantings and the botanical gardens, but I understand these days home gardeners are being encouraged by the USFWS to try certain endangered spp.. and wondering if uhiuhi is one of them.

I'm so glad to finally a see a forum just for the Islands. Long overdue.. mahalo nui loa, Spike.

Mike

Comments (7)

• Matt G
    20 years ago

Yes, I have an approximately one foot tall specimen of Caesalpinia kavaiense. Along with about 20 other endangered species. All of my endangered specimens are bought.

yes and I must say, Mahalo nui loa for adding this forum, Spike.

Matthew Garma

• Maltman
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Hi Matthew, so uhiuhi is being grown. I am glad to hear it. Acquiring these plants from a reputable source is the only way to go. I raised mine from seed provided by a research facility. Twenty endangered species! I'm impressed.. you do good work. I often thought the best way to get the natives out there is to put them in the hands of the mahi 'ai. Another interesting one is hele 'ula or Kokia drynarioides. Do you know it? I'd like to hear what other natives are you growing.

Mike

• Matt G
    20 years ago

Hey, hmm Kokia drynarioides? Thats one of my favorites! I have a specimen planted in the ground and I just bought one at the Board of water supply's unthirsty plants sale at Halawa xeriscape gardens, this past Saturday. The endangered plants such as Hibiscus brackenridgei, Sesbania tomentosa, Achyranthes splendens, Gardenia brighamii, Abutilon menziesii, Munroidendron, etc. are common in cultivation (relative to many to other native plants, native plants are rare in and out of cultivation). I have one plant species that I might (I'm not sure though) be the first to cultivate, Cyrtandra sp. (ha'iwale, kanawao ke'oke'o). Keeping it alive seems like a struggle. And who knows what is going to happen to it.

On my member page I have a list of about 92 Native Hawaiian Plant species (including some subspecies) that we grow in our garden at home.

Matthew G.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dr. Carr's Native Hawaiian Plant Gallery

• RBWhisenhunt
    19 years ago

What a collection. Oi we'e! (bastardized yiddish)

• thad_huffman
    19 years ago

Check this out...Thad

Here is a link that might be useful: See site..........

• Deweydave
    19 years ago

I realize this is a late call for uhiuhi (Caesalpinia kavaiensis), but I have been growing them for years. They really do not like to be in pots and take off when planted in situ. Uhiuhi love as much full sun as you can give them. Though the ones at my house on only about 6-7 ft. tall and have not flowering yet, I have several planted in different friends yards that are easily twice that height. These out planted trees flower and set pods on a regular basis for me. Once established, these trees never get watered. Uhiuhi DO NOT like "wet feet." So that means don't over water them. Once established, I don't mess with them. They get small doses of kelp ferilizer a few times a year and that's it!
    One publication lists them as being "difficult" to cultivate. I have not found this to be true. They are a challenge, but deffinately worth growing and a very rare addition to a native Hawaiian garden! Aloha

• Maltman
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Dave, thank you for your thoughtful response. It is wonderful to hear about your growing so many uhiuhi successfully--especially stuck in our cold gray winter here in California. Just sitting here, I can recall the graceful leaves, and the way the pink petals emerge from the dark rose budded flowers.

I remember when I wanted to grow mine years ago, being discouraged I was by the reports of it being difficult, and then pleased that it wasn't so hard after all. Back then I think the only place you could see them cultivated was at the NTBG on Kauai, or at Greenwell's and the garden on Big Island. And yes I do recall the need for perfect drainage!

Thanks again ... you made my day here.

Mike

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!