Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kateanne_gw

New to Hawaii, and gardening in general.

kateanne
10 years ago

Hi, I recently moved to Honolulu, and have a relatively spacious patio as well as a plot in my complex's community garden, after having lived on the east coast and not having any outdoor space in my tiny apartments, I want to try gardening. In asking my neighbors and coworkers about their plants, I have been gifted generously with cuttings and plants from their gardens as well as cuttings the grounds keeper for my office campus in Manoa brings me. I have transplanted most of these in to a store bought compost and potting soil mixture, but am noticing some pests have hitched a ride in. Spiders and spider mites, which I am treating, as well as little tiny crawlies that live on the leaves and stems of specifically my philedendron cuttings from the grounds as well as crawlies and tiny wormlike critters in the roots and soil of plants. It seems to be spreading.
I have an spray I am using on the leaves, but how do I get rid of the root/soil pests, or do I even need to worry? They gross me out but I do not see much damage from them yet. Tho I found them on a succulent stem cutting I had planted to root, crawling over the callused part.

Also, I am seeing plants I knew as annuals back east: morning glories, marigolds, peppers etc that I am starting from seeds, and was wondering how the lack of cold winter will affect the growing/fruiting season? will plants still go dormant or do they grow/fruit/bloom year round?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery