Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Hawaii, and gardening in general.

Posted by kateanne none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 17:52

Hi, I recently moved to Honolulu, and have a relatively spacious patio as well as a plot in my complex's community garden, after having lived on the east coast and not having any outdoor space in my tiny apartments, I want to try gardening. In asking my neighbors and coworkers about their plants, I have been gifted generously with cuttings and plants from their gardens as well as cuttings the grounds keeper for my office campus in Manoa brings me. I have transplanted most of these in to a store bought compost and potting soil mixture, but am noticing some pests have hitched a ride in. Spiders and spider mites, which I am treating, as well as little tiny crawlies that live on the leaves and stems of specifically my philedendron cuttings from the grounds as well as crawlies and tiny wormlike critters in the roots and soil of plants. It seems to be spreading.
I have an spray I am using on the leaves, but how do I get rid of the root/soil pests, or do I even need to worry? They gross me out but I do not see much damage from them yet. Tho I found them on a succulent stem cutting I had planted to root, crawling over the callused part.

Also, I am seeing plants I knew as annuals back east: morning glories, marigolds, peppers etc that I am starting from seeds, and was wondering how the lack of cold winter will affect the growing/fruiting season? will plants still go dormant or do they grow/fruit/bloom year round?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Hawaii, and gardening in general.

• Posted by steiconi 12b-Big Island, HI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 17:23

A lot of plants sold as annuals in colder areas are perennials or biennials here--impatiens are a good example.

Most of my peppers lasted a couple of years, giving lots of peppers in the summer, and a handful during the winter. Hawaiian peppers are a perennial, pumping out tiny, colorful peppers all the time.

Marigolds barely made it a season for me. There are some invasive morning glories around here, so you have to be careful. Actually, I think marigolds may be considered invasive, too.

That's a problem in the tropics; there is no freeze to kill of vigorous plants and bugs (and frogs, etc.), so they spread very quickly.

o

well I keep everything in containers, and plan on being vigilant about making sure seeds don't spread in the community garden. I just have never had this little worm problem in the roots of potted plants. its like they are little larvae for something but are in deep down in the bottom of the pot.

o

Not all insects are harmful, have you found anyone to identify the bugs for you to determine if they are good bugs or bad bugs?

There are seasonal differences when growing gardens in Hawaii. We have the cooler winter garden which is good for growing things such as Manoa lettuce and peas. The summer garden is hotter and the summer lettuce types such as Romaine, Buttercrunch and the red varieties do better. During the winter, things grow slower since there's less sunlight.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here