Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hillside troubles...

Posted by nbattad HI (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 14, 04 at 18:23

Thought I might be able to get some good advice here.... so here goes. Problem: Hillside in the back of the house, 2 hills, the lower one has some grass that the developer shot on, (I'm trying to water it and get it to fill in), 2nd. hill pretty much bare.

I started planting a bunch of "hearts and flowers" but because of the full sun, and the winds, the water dries out pretty fast. The only thing I have found to water the hillside was an impact sprinkler on a tripod (HD) and because of the wind, even that ends up watering my neighbors yard rather than mine. (I am going to try soaker hoses soon).

Being concerned with the erosion, is the main reason for planting the H&F. I also planted a couple of plumeria on the hill because couple people told me it has a pretty good root system.

Any ideas for any other deep root groundcovers/plants/trees to hold the soil? Any slope watering ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hillside troubles...

1. Hearts and flowers are an escellent choice. Once rooted you wont have to water to establish. It will spread by itself. Other ice plants would work the same.
2. Spanish shawl (Heterocentron elegans) is a little larger and takes a little more water. When established, it doesn't need water either.
3. Arachis pintoi is a good choice but it takes a little more trouble and water to start. Has a deep root and makes a good ground cover. Grows about 4 inches high.

Almost any tree would stabalize your slope.

let me know if you want more suggestion. You can google any of these plants to see what they look like and growing requirements.

Good Luck
Phil

o
RE: Hillside troubles...

How much of a slope is it? Our lot is very steep, but it has been terraced and that does wonders for planting things. Rock faced embankments with mondo grass growing in the crevices will eventually look like a grassy lawn and you won't have to mow it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here