Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Abiu tree--no fruit

Posted by maurice1 HI (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 16, 06 at 18:26

Will Lychee fruit at 1,500 feet above Hilo, Hawaii?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Abiu tree--no fruit

I'm no expert; I don't live in Hawaii yet but found information about lychees on this nursery's web site

[url]http://www.plantithawaii.com/[/url]

They say:

[quote]Lychee is quite adaptable in its soil requirements but prefers a moist rocky soil. It needs high humidity and abundant rainfall. You can see beautiful fruiting specimens from about sea level in the Hilo area up to about 1,000 feet.[/quote]

Now that tells me that it probably won't fruit or fruit well at 1500 ft.

o
more

You might also consider longan. According to the same website they bear up to 2000 ft in the islands. They are simular to lychees but taste a little different (they also have a nice flavor though).

"Longans are usually eaten fresh but are also dried and canned. It is a delicious, juicy fruit with a very sweet and pleasant musky flavor.

It is a large spreading tree, which bears many clusters of golden-brown- skinned fruit at the ends of the branches. The juicy white fruit is about the same size as the lychee with one black shiny seed.

It does well in most areas of Hawaii below 2,000 feet if provided with abundant water."

o
and more

Sorry to keep on posting but I've found some real good stuff. Here are 2 papers from the University of Hawaii on lychees. Sorry, but I don't know how to make the links clickable on this forum.

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/F_N-2.pdf

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/HC-1.pdf

o

I have a four year old abiu tree in Hilo at 1,500 ft. It has abudant flowers twice a year in 2005-2006 but no fruit develops. Cause? I have limed it and fetilyzed it with 10-30-10 regularly.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 24, 06 at 1:46

Maybe test your soil to see if the treatments are appropriate. Could be overdoing one thing (that 30 for the P is pretty high) and/or not putting on enough of another. Don't know how this tree works but with other fruit trees common problems are lack of cross-pollination and lack of suitable pollinators at flowering time. If you are convinced there is a nutrient deficiency that might perhaps cause flowers or developing fruits to abort (again talking about these things generally, not based on something known about this particular tree specifically).

Here is a link that might be useful: Agricultural Diagnostic Service Center Homepage

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here