Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looks like this forum's starting to pick up

Posted by Anakaleki z9 S.E. Tex (nelumbo_nucifera@hotmail.com) on
Tue, Jul 27, 04 at 19:16

I'm glad more people have joined this forum! I just wanted to say mahalo to Mokihana for answering my post about the leis, even after exactly one month of it's being unanswered.

I'd also like to ask about plumeria: my uncle's friends in Hawai'i dig up their plumeria and hang them in their garage to make them go dormant. Does that mean plumeria HAVE to go dormant at some time?
Also, I found an alternative for plumeria blossoms in lei making for people in less tropical zones: natal plums, the flowers are almost exactly the same except for being smaller.

Aloha, Andrew

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looks like this forum's starting to pick up

Glad to see your forum is gaining momentum. It's fun to drop in here on occassion and see what's going on out in the Pacific.

o
RE: Looks like this forum's starting to pick up

Aloha Andrew!

I do not know the answer to your question as to why your Uncle's friends force their plumerias into dormancy. I do know that there are two types of plumerias. One is an evergreen and the other is deciduous. I live on windward side of Oahu and I have 5 huge plumeria trees, all the deciduous type, and when they lose their leaves and go dormant every winter, they look like ghosts. Maybe the friends in Hawaii have the deciduous type also, and just don't want to look at the bare naked plants thru the winter? Mine are too huge to dig up, they are all about 20 feet tall and have been here probably 40 years. Sorry I can't be more help.

I just wanted you to know someone is out here listening way over here in the Pacific!!

Aloha, Melanie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here