Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hawaiiroses

roses

hawaiiroses
13 years ago

Tea (NOT hybrid tea) and noisette roses grow well in Hawaii. These are "Old Garden" roses from warm climates originally, not from temperate climates. They tend to be resistant to black spot. Their blooms are usually medium sized. They bloom off and on all year. They like full sun (maybe a little shade in very hot and dry areas) and need some water and fertilizer to keep blooming. Grafted roses from the local garden centers tend to rot. I order own-root roses from the internet (Vintage Gardens and Rogue Valley Roses). They require virtually no spraying or pruning. Some get quite tall (8-12' or more). In some areas, the Japanese beetles or slugs will kill roses.

Comments (9)

• sunshinewaves
    13 years ago

Hmm...thanks for the info. Great read.

• mauirose
    13 years ago

Can you report which tea roses you have had particular success with HR?

• sunshinewaves
    13 years ago

Great read. Thanks for all the information. And I second Mauirose's question. Thank you!

• janmcewen_hawaii_rr_com
    12 years ago

There are no Japanese beetles in Hawaii.

Jan McEwen
    Former Extension Agent

• mauirose
    12 years ago

Perhaps the poster meant Chinese Rose Beetles? We certainly have them here ; ((

• bigislegrower
    12 years ago

I grow hybrid tea roses and grafted roses and have no trouble with them,but I have a few tricks. Grow them in large containers so they are up off the ground,use potting soil-no garden soil that can splash diseases up on the plants. Never plant them just below or above the graft.Settle then in about an inch above the roots.They like partial sun here with good air circulation- breezy area of the yard is best.If they do get powdery mildew or black spot, remove the dead leaves and spray the rest with 1T baking soda in a gallon of water with a few drops of dish soap in it.It rains almost every day where I live, but I still have florist quality long stem roses without much work.I have about 20 different kinds of roses- hedge roses, rugosa roses, climbing ,fairy and minitures.When I see one I like I ask if I can take a cutting.Roses are easy to start if you place them in bright shade,and in a humidity tent. When you see new leaves, pot them up.
    There are Japanese beetles here.They breed in moist compost and manure- If you ever see inch long white grubs where you are digging ,you have them.Spread milky spore , which is safe and effective, and grows and spread over the years-no more beetles. If you know someone who has spread milky spore in their yard , ask for a coffee can of dirt and use it to innoculate your own garden beds.

• kerrygirl
    12 years ago

Thank you for all that great info! I am in Kona at about the 800 ft level, and I have just planted 17 rose bushes (we just built our house and are landscaping). I have never grown roses before, have always wanted too and figured this was my chance. I am seeing some powdery mildew and black spot and will try using the baking/soda dish soap mixture.

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Let's get real here. To grow roses part of this equation is spraying. You cannot avoid this aspect of growing roses otherwise you'll be compromising your leaves, flowers, roots and plant to insect pests and diseases.
    Hawai'i has very limited growing areas where roses will thrive. Most will need some sort of artificial growing conditions to get them to thrive, if at all. Roses are generally weak plants grafted onto stronger root stocks. Unfortunately these rootstocks are not favorable to our climate of high humidity and rain.
    Roses prey to a great varied selection of insects, mites, diseases and water-soil issues.
    There is no set guidelines that will work in all cases. The better growing regions have high elevations of very hot-warm days and near freezing nights with volcanic base soils rich in iron and are situated in breezy areas. This is the start of a set up to grow roses.

• hotzcatz
    12 years ago

There is a lovely scented rose which was growing up by the old out house at our other house. Someone told me it was "Healani" and it was a very robust, disease and maintenance free rose. To get more of them, just whack off a branch and stick it in the ground and it would likely root and go. Not a big fancy flower, but a lot of smaller ones and they smell wonderful.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks