Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How hard is it to bring plants 'in' to Hawaii?

Posted by maiolo 11 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 20, 04 at 23:23

I notice none of the mail order plant companies don't ship to Hawaii.

I take it this is due to strict "bugs in the soil" issue?

Is it next to impossible to bring plants in & pass inspection?

Does anyone know if I should even attempt this?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How hard is it to bring plants 'in' to Hawaii?

I also would like to know this as I am planning to move there in a few years and would like to keep as many of my plants as possible.

o

Plants are a problem. Plan on using seeds. Otherwise, look for nurseries that have clearance to ship plants to Hawaii. They are few and far between, but there are some.

Phil

o

Aloha everyone!

I moved to Hawaii from CA in March 2003. I did not bring any of my plants with me due to the plant quarantine restrictions. However, check out www.hawaiiag.org for info on how to bring your plants with you. The site also has info on the animal quarantine if you have pets. Make sure you plan ahead!!

I have found these online nuseries that WILL ship to Hawaii.

Logee's Greehouse, www.logees.com
Alohatropicals.com

I have found that the plants that I have ordered from Logees have been much better quality and have had a better success rate than the ones from Aloha tropicals. Logees is in Connecticut, but there packing is stellar and the plants have all arrived in perfect condition. AND the shipping costs are reasonable.

o

Hi,
I am a licensed nursery in Florida and have shipped to Hawaii before.
I am not interested in selling you plants, but am interested in trades.
I have fireant certification. There are only certain things that cannot be imported into Hawaii without special permit and quarantine. Other plants are acceptable.
If interested please see my tradelist.

o

Here in Hawai'i many thousands of different plants have been introduced for horticultural use. We are missing out on things we can find only in Hawai'i; Native Plants (90% of Native Hawai'ian plant species are endemic, the worlds highest rate of endemism!). You might have heard this before. But im just trying to be the advocate and conservationist I am.

Here is a link that might be useful: native plant pictures here.

o
What is endemism?

What does that mean?

o

Endemism describes species that are native to a particular geographic area or continent.

o

If your neighbors are anything like my neighbors, you won't lack for plants for very long! Also to propagate many plants around here, you can literally cut a twig off the plant you like and stick it in a pot and it will grow. A lot of other plants spread seeds around with wild abandon and are easy enough to pick up off the ground. I have several different varieties of palms started from seeds picked up off the ground under "public" palms in parking lots and then buried in the garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here