Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lawai'i plant and other questions

Posted by haku 96792 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 6, 06 at 1:56

Aloha,

I bought a lawai'i plant, the lady said that I could cut it, to make more starters from it, my question is does this plant need fertilizer? (forgot to ask the lady lol)
And also I would like to use 20-20-20 plant feeding fertilizers, on my bromelias, aloe,plumerias and desert rose (cactus style plants)is this a good number?

I'm just starting so I'm feeling my way though any suggestions are very much welcomed.

Mahalo, Haku

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lawai'i plant and other questions

Hey! I think you're in my neck of the woods! Are you talking about the fern that smells like maile? If you are then you would have to cut them at the base or when the "runners" develop roots. I've seperated them this way and raised some in the past. As for fertilizer--I don't know. Usually it grew around other heavy feeders and I just used anything from fish emulsion to miracle grow. Just to let you know though, when I planted, I dug really deep and wide and put my own mixture of potting soil, compost, and mulch. What are you growing? I have vigna caracalla, roses, keffir lime, regular lime, pink lemon, meyer lemon, edible ginger, soybeans, yardlong beans, watsonia, passion fruit, Sweet William banana, pakalana, puakenikeni, chives, long green onions, eggplant, dianthus, butterfly aster, coreopsis, grape, ti, red sealing wax palm, piper nigrum, guava, paklan, acerola, green tea, pigeon pea, and a few I can't think of the names...By the way, where do you live around here? I've noticed that there is no garden club here and have been thinking about starting one. Anyway, it's nice to see someone from around here posting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here