Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wants_to_grow

Incoming and curious!

wants_to_grow
16 years ago

Aloha! Greetings from Lakewood, CA. This is my first post on GardenWeb and in the last year I have basically become a potager gardener. Because of the various forums here and the vast realms of the internet, IÂve been able to achieve accomplishments beyond my expectations.

I will be visiting Maui and Oahu in two weeks and would like very much to explore botanical opportunities on both islands. This will be the middle of August. As a newbie, I am oblivious to my limitations and have only been confounded by my four attempts at growing a pineapple. It would be great if, during this visit, I could get some coaching as to what IÂm doing wrong with my pineapple propagations well as introductions to other fruits and native tropicals growing in your areas.

Questions, please.

Could warehouse refrigeration of pineapples sold on the mainland affect propagation?

Is the middle of August, is Hawaii in a dormant season?

Is the windward side of the islands favored for growing? It seems so, at least between Oahu and Maui. Regrettably on Maui, my snorkeling butt will be floating around Blackrock, so Hana will probably not be doable. However, in Oahu, would Waimanalo be my best bet for checking out nurseries? Also, are there any opinions about Senator FongÂs?

Is it possible to bring back pineapple tops to the mainland?

Mahalo!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz