Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cyanea_gw

Growers Wanted: Native Hawaiian Plants

Matt G
19 years ago

Hi, I just wanted to know if there are any fellow "Native Plant People" here in this forum. There is definately alot that I would like to say about native plants. There is definately more that should be understood, and more growers needed.

Any native plant growers (enthusiasts) out there?

Comments (46)

• leiahi
    19 years ago

yes we would like to be ; )
    I have the space if you have the plants!

• hulagal
    19 years ago

Cyanea, I too have a very small collection of native Hawaiian plants but am trying to add to it! It is true that we need to do more to preserve our native flora. I too have some space, what do you have in mind?
    Melanie

• Matt G
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I have choke plants that I need to give away and want to distribute. I got a list of some of them on my memeber page. I am constantly propogating new plants some of them very rare in cultivation and in the wild.

Many coastal species too. These plants are beautiful, but also really tough when it comes to low nutrient hot substrate (sand, white coral), salt spray, and the xeriscape factor.

lmk. if anything.

• HIgrower
    19 years ago

I am new to this garden web thing after seeing your message. This holiday weekend I planted two Ohia Lehua, two na'u, some palapala and a lot of Lauai. Looking for more variety that I can grow in Manoa (near the tea room), particularily a Koa and naupaka kuahiwi but generally anything native that will stay relatively small (the Koa and Ohia are the main plants in the garden, now need smaller edge dwellers). Any hints on where to look or what to look for. Thanks, Jim H.

• bigb696
    19 years ago

Man I have been growing plants for a while and Hawaiian plants are the ones that I never could get my hands on. I have looked far and wide for Hawaiian plants, but there are so few and not that many good growers out there with the right touch for these delicate plants. If you got some extra siting around, I will make the room for them. Thanks, B

• maui4me
    19 years ago

I'm looking for seeds of the Hawaiian Prickly Poppy, Argemone glauca. Does anyone know of a source for this pretty white poppy?

• hotzcatz
    19 years ago

How about ahinahina (artesimia)? It is a sorta silver white small plant similiar to dusty miller. I think it would be a good garden foilage plant and should be easy to get folks to grow it if they could just get some.

Here's a website that Matt has recommended before which has a lot of local plants on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hawaiian plants

• classicenergy
    19 years ago

I just moved to Kauai (North Shore so plenty of rain)and have land to do a nice garden. In California I focused entirely on native coastal plants and would like to do the same here. So please give me names and sources for any you recommend.

My first project is to complete the screening from neighbors so native shrubs or screening materials are much needed.

Also I want to support increasing native plant populations and reducing invasive foreign plant populations, as I did on the mainland. Is there any organization in Hawaii that protects and propigates native species? (If not, let's get one started!)

• johndp8888
    19 years ago

I now grow a limited number of native Hawaiian plants but have become the grounds committee head for a non profit group that has beachfront property on the north shore of Oahu. We are interested in increasing the numbers of native plants there and eliminating more of the non-native species on the lot.

Specifically I am looking for salt tolerant trees, flowers and shrubs. The trees should be those that are 30 feet or less when fully grown.

I have had a lot of experience with Bonsai cultivation but not with native trees.

Thanks

• johndp8888
    19 years ago

I have just come back from the big island and brought back seeds from the Hawaiian poppy. Anyone interested?

• maui4me
    18 years ago

I definite am interested in those poppy seeds!
    maui4meATcharter.net

• johndp8888
    18 years ago

I sent the seeds

• johndp8888
    18 years ago

I have just aquired a few (about 10) fresh Stemmadenia
    seeds that I would like to trade for native plant seeds.

Stemmadnia litoratis is not a Hawaiian native but is a spectacular small tree with many fragrant white flowers.

• melendrez
    18 years ago

I would love to grow native Hawaiian plants, but they are difficult to find here in Los Angeles.

There are some species that I know will do well here in coastal southern California. The Mildred Mathias Botanical Garden at UCLA has several Hawaiian natives: Acacia koa, Hibiscus, and Wilkesia gymnoxiphium (iliau). And there are a few palm nurseries in San Diego that sell Pritchardia (P. hillebrandii and P. remota are two that I have seen for sale)

Do you know of any sources for native Hawaiian plant seeds? I would love to try propagating some for my garden.

I am especially interested in finding a source for Sadleria cyatheoides (Amau). Are they available from commercial nurseries in Hawaii?

• garden_isle_dave
    16 years ago

Aloha everyone,

I'm Dave, 18 year old entomology & photography student. I moved to Hawaii from Arizona in feb of '05, and lived on Oahu for two years before moving here to the Garden Island.

Anyone over here? Lol.

I've only seriously been gardening for the last year and a half or so, since we moved to Kauai. On the entomology side, I am working on a small set-up to breed local butterflies, which ties into local botany in general.
    I've also gotten more and more interested in growing since I started. I'd like to get some Mamaki trimmings/seeds/or, if possible, the plant itself. I dont have a WHOLE bunch of room, but if you're looking to get rid of it, know where to get it locally, or have some spare, I'd love to get a hold of some.
    I'm looking into breeding Kamehameha Butterflies(Vanessa tameamea) in particular, or at least attracting some, though the chances are near to none. They're one of only two endemic butterflies, and are thus threatened. There are a few places who breed Monarchs in Hawaii, an >invasiveendemicI know this is not completely pertinent to the thread, but being closely related, I thought Id give it a shot as it may also help to preserve other aspects of the Hawaiian ecosystem!
    If anyone's interested in the butterflies, anything else I mentioned, or has info/plants or would like to know more about the entomology aspect of my post, just shoot me a message! Mahalo nui loa in advance!

Aloha and all the best,

~Dave K. N.
    Kauai, Hawaii
    Entomology/Photography
    Student

• pueokai
    16 years ago

Cyanea - Would love to get some of the native hibiscus and some attractive low ground cover - preferably with flowers. Can you get them to Kauai ?

• johndp8888
    16 years ago

Hello Dave and pueokai

I have access to Mamaki plant seeds in season and to the prostrate Ilima form as a ground cover. Live plants are harder to transport. If you have a home depot on Kauai, they will have all of this or can get them. If seeds would work, let me know and I will send.

• pueokai
    16 years ago

Hey john, would love the Ilima seeds. how do I send you my address ?

• mermaidajm
    16 years ago

Aloha! I live in Hilo and would love to have some plants too. I have an empty backyard that's just waiting for some plants. I would particularly love to have an Ohia tree, flowering shrubs and fruit bearing trees as well.

• johndp8888
    16 years ago

Native plants can be purchased on the big island at Home depot in Kona, at some garden stores in Hilo, at the state forestry facility just outside of Waimea and at the Amy greenwell ethnobotanical garden in Captain Cook. I get many of my native plants from the big island even though I live on Oahu. The author of this thread has been a real help to me on native plants.
    On the Ilima seeds, it would be better that you get the plants locally, as they are available to you there. That prevents the mixing of plants from one island with another.

• johndp8888
    16 years ago

You can send me your address at Johndp8888@aol.com.

• sunnysgardengate
    16 years ago

I am a "Native Plant Person" however I'm in the Rockies.

We are looking to move to Kauai in the next year or 2 (Husband wants to go YESTERDAY!) and of course, I'll be planting native there.

Where on Kauai is the most ideal location for gardening? I know there is a dry area, a wet area, and areas that are right inbetween. Can anyone give me more detailed information?

Also, I see there are some properties that have well water. Is well water usually good there on the island or does it need to be filtered/corrected?

Would appreciate any and all information you can share.

Happy Trails!
    Sunny

• beginnersmind
    16 years ago

I've been writing a Hawaii gardening blog since Sept. last year, and it usually features native plants. You can check it out by clicking the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Janice's Hawaii Gardening blog

• juglans7
    15 years ago

I'm in southern California and I have started a hobby nursery where I am growing acacia Koa among other things. The trees are doing very well, and after 1 year's growth my seedlings are reaching 4-5 feet in height with good thickness. They did not flinch at the slight frosts but they do want lots of water.

I can recommend growing koa from seeds as they grow quite quickly. There are sources online where you can buy the seeds (such as banana-tree, just google).

• suekiwilcox_gmail_com
    15 years ago

I'm a member of Lani-Kailua Outdoor Circle. We are setting up a plant exchange service for members on Oahu. If you are interested in contributing or making a home for Hawaiian plants and others adapted to the climate check out the website. You could also join in our garden tours and see how other gardeners are dealing with this climate zone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lani-Kailua Outdoor Circle

• caudex1
    15 years ago

Only native plants I have are Brighamia insignis and rockii

• cactus_corner
    13 years ago

I am in Kona and interested in meeting anyone that would like to start a group once a month meeting with plant table and discussion forum

• meakiai
    13 years ago

Hey guys! Iʻve also been trying my hand with native plants the last few years.... and I was wondering, does anyone happen to have access to any lobelioids? I know its a super real longshot, but Iʻve always been particularly fond of Cyaneas and Clermontias... are there any species that are somewhat more hardy? Hardy enough to grow in Hilo town?

• Hawaii.Marilyn
    11 years ago

@classicenergy and garden_isle_dave - Me too!!

• JohanCruz
    9 years ago

Cyanea, there are a lot of native gardeners who are seeking for native Hawaiian plants and most of them really want to save our native flora. I am also one of them. In this concern I am also assisted by Exotic Hawaii Flower and they have fulfilled my desire by providing various kinds of native floras. Another message to you is that I have enough space in my little garden and I need more responses and details regarding the same. Thanks for the stunning topic.

• Tropical Gardener
    9 years ago

I am looking for native (scented) seeds; I have a lot to trade for; huge garden of rare scented tropicals; please contact me at tropicalgardener@gmail.com

• f8b8
    9 years ago

Plants still available? I already have mamaki tea plants but I'm interested in other variety. Thanks! Text only (936) 878-6443.

• Tropical Gardener
    9 years ago

Mamaki does not have flowers, so I am not interested. Sorry Frank :)

• Tropical Gardener
    9 years ago

However, I am interested in other varieties of Hawaiian natives that do have flowers

• johndp8888
    8 years ago

I want to thank Matt for his help. I picked up a number of plants and seeds from him some years ago (I think in 2005) and have been able to share with many others. Thanks Matt.

• Francesco Delvillani
    8 years ago

How is the native vegetation of Hawaii....how it it evolved in an Island in the middle of the biggest Ocean of the World?

• Zamondo Consigo
    6 years ago

I'm growing some natives on north shore of Kauai. I've propagated Koa from seed and currently air layering a rare Ohia. I also have Pohinahina which has a nice sage-like fragrance, Maile, which the ants love, and a few others. I want to try growing some Wiliwili from seed next. I have a few canoe plants also, Puakenikeni, Taro and Ti's. This is a photo of the air layering that took root.

• Joy L
    6 years ago

I've just started a garden on my new lanai. I live in a condo so it's all in pots. I have lots of room and would love to grow more native plants. So far I have Pohinahina, Ilima, Nau, and Pualoalo. I would love to know if anyone has seeds to share.

• johndp8888
    6 years ago

I have some seeds and small native plants. I can mail the seeds, but you would have to meet somewhere if you are interested in the plants. I am on Pacific Heights above downtown Honolulu.

• Joy L
    6 years ago

Mahalo John, I would love both plants and seeds. I can send my husband to pick them up. Please email me your contact information at joyfully83@gmail.com

• HU-353221318
    4 years ago

Aloha all,

so we got transplanted from Kaimuki to southern Marin County... can I grow Mamaki here? If so, anyone know where/how i is could get plants, seeds? Mahalo!

• Zamondo Consigo
    4 years ago

You'll just have to try it is my guess. Are you thinking indoor or greenhouse? Mamaki isn't flowering on Kauai right now, so no seeds. And I'm having trouble finding starts. There is a seed company on Oahu, but I forgot there name.

• HU-353221318
    4 years ago

mahalo- thinking of outside- with covering if we get a freeze. We have fog and not extreme heat ever and nights in the 40’s in the winter...

• Zamondo Consigo
    4 years ago

One trick I used for tropicals on the mainland is planting them next to the dryer vent. If I come across seeds I'll contact you.

• HU-353221318
    4 years ago

Good idea!!

our little house has radiant heat- so I put these kinds of plants near the vented part of our slightly raised house... dryer vent for sure. Do have lots of yellow ginger growing...

mahalo so much in advance for any seeds you can spare anytime...

Sponsored
King Construction Company LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Loudoun County, VA Custom Builder for Equestrian Facilities