Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pigeon peas

Posted by izzybelle (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 7, 06 at 4:04

Anyone here in Hawaii growing pigeon peas? The seedlings from Echo have sprouted and I've seen (from a distance) one "tree" hanging over a fence. I was wondering if anyone here grows and uses them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pigeon peas

I maintain a garden that has been planted with pigeon pea from seed. The goal was to bring more vitality and quick cover for an ailing Mock Orange hedge. The Pigeon Pea was planted 3' off the headge row. After 1.5 years, the Mock Orange hedge embodies more vitality, and the short lived Pigeon Peas are dying back.

Because the trunks & branches are weak I pruned the dead regularly to maintain a tidier look. I loved the smell, which reminds me of cilantro and fresh air. I collected some of the seed pods home and found the legume is a source of food. I have not cooked it yet, someday. I question if the shrub is invasive or not in certain climates here as I would any plant not commonly cultivated.

I am curious what your ideas for Pigeon Pea cultivation are.

o
RE: pigeon peas

Greetings! My computer has been down several times and I lost all my information. I guessed what my password was and behold! I grew the pigeon pea from seed. It is now a "tidy" shrub--that is, it has not taken over the walkway and everything else around it as have many other plants. I grew it for a source of "beans" on a perennial plant. I don't have the time to maintain a regular garden and dislike replanting... though I now have lettuce and korean false sesame (perilla?) sprouting everywhere... I haven't plucked the seed pods from the pigeon pea and the pigeon pea hasn't dropped the seed pods. There it stays upon the bush for 3-4 months...i.e. over here, it is not invasive. By the way, the pigeon pea tastes very good-like a cross between soy and chickpea when boiled in water with salt. Others also use it as a main ingredient in gondule rice which is also very good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here