Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
erythrina sandwicensis (dormant or dead?)

Posted by richyates z9 AZ (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 25, 04 at 10:11

I bought a small, dormant erythrina sandwicensis in May. I keep outside in a bright, shady location and water it about once a week. It has not broken dormancy yet and beginning to wonder if it is dead. Anyone here have experience with this plant who could offer advice?

Thanks,

Rich

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: erythrina sandwicensis (dormant or dead?)

E. sandwicensis should not be watered to the point where it is no longer a deciduous plant. When a plant dies the stems tend to shrivel up and the green tissue directly under the outer bark of the stems is not longer green. It is good that you are not giving it much water. But I notice that dryland plants pllanted in pots still need to be watered Because the pot can dry up entirely. Since wiliwili is a tree the roots go deep into the soil where water may be present (even if in small amounts). This is from my experience and observation. When watering I moniter my plants. I have a wiliwili I bought in a 3 gallon pot 1 year and 9 months ago and it is still in the pot. It is starting to grow back its leaves (at this time the trees in makua valley have not leaves and are flowering). I have probably watered it more than it has needed before. But not I allow soil to dry out nearly completely and moniter the appearance of stems and leaves. Although overwatering is possible, with wiliwili it is not necessary to give it only the water it needs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here