Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plant suggestion for a gazebo please

Posted by maiolo maui (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 7, 04 at 13:38

i recently bought a metal gazebo, which i plan on using as an outdoor shower.

any suggestions on fragrant, climbing vines w/ flowers i can plant to climb along its sides?

thank you.

Here is a link that might be useful: gazebo image

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plant suggestion for a gazebo please

1.My first choice would be Stephanotis floribunda.
2.Jasmine (jasminum)many varieties. All can be trained as a vine and are fragrant.
3.Star Jasmine (trachelospermum) Is a fragrant vine.
4. Hoya is good on a trellis. Very slight scent.
5. Honeysuckle (Lonicera) aggressive. Not as neat appearance nor easy to control.
6. Chinese Wisteria (wisteria sinensis) slightly fragrant. Attractive when in bloom. Aggressive.
I would plant a couple of different kinds on each post.

Good luck
Phil

o

Stephanotis, mandevilla, medinilla, gloriosa lily, jade vine, sweet potato, passionflower. All depends on if its in full sun, shade etc.

o

hi!

i already plan on using stephanotis for an accompaniment to my potted podocarpus. otherwise, i'd have loved to use it.

i heard of a vine climbing ylang-ylang, not a tree. do u think this will be ok? the space will have 1/2 day full sun, 1/2 day partial, & i plan on leaning the gazebo against the house.

do u think the ylang-ylang will be too aggressive for this & may even buckle the ground?

i would love to have a little variety otherwise.

thanks.

o

I like Queen's Wreath, Petrea volubilis. We have one here at Selby Gardens on our gazebo. It's the best wisteria substitute for color but there's no scent.
kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: Queen's Wreath

o

grapes, black pepper vine, passion fruit or air potato vines would give you something to eat eventually.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here