Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haku_gw

aloe and desert rose poison? put my mind at ease please

haku
17 years ago

Aloha gang,

Very new to growing here, but I made this nice terraced planter box and I thought growing aloe in one and desert rose in another would be nice. After reading about the desert rose I am worried of sharing it with the same soil as the Aloe since the Aloe is medicinal here in Hawaii for us to put on cuts that is my worry.

Can someone put my mind at ease. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Your friend, Haku

Comments (2)

• guapogardener
    17 years ago

It's only the milky sap of the Desert Rose that is poisonous...I don't think the Aloe vera would catch the other plant's "poisonousness" being in the same planting bed. Rule #1: don't drink the sap of the desert rose or rub it in your eyes, mouth or etc. You won't like the result. I've done it. I had to wash around my eyes for a long time, but I'm fine with no vision problems.

Mother nature does not work that way. We're not talking about black walnut trees here, whose roots have a toxin that prevents plants growing under them.

You should just be fine...

:)
    Mark

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Desert Rose is poisonous! They are related to the oleander and Be-Still tree. Leaves, flowers, roots stems are all toxic.
    These plants are not supposed to be eaten or kept near edibles, so just keep it at bay.