Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Life span of Cook Island pines

Posted by mrdick Lanai Hawaii (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 4, 05 at 15:21

Aloha, Does anyone know the average life span of Cook island pines here on Lanai most of ours were planted in the 20s and many dont look too good about now I am concerned cause due to their size these things are like lead pipes when they fall and our trades are strong here...Don

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Life span of Cook Island pines

• Posted by Ron_B USDA 8 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 17, 05 at 17:03

If you can get an ISA Certified Arborist out there to look at them that would be good.

o

• Posted by mrdick Lanai Hawaii (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 17, 05 at 22:32

Thanks for the info Ron did some surfing and found out they will be giving the test here in Honolulu on the 22nd of October will be sending my partner this is the support we need being this far out of the loop the ISA lady said she would hook me up and am looking forward to their packet.....Don

o

Aloha Don,

I don't know about how long they last, there is one in our backyard about 100 years old or so. It is huge. It is also very valuable. If you decide to take your tree down, find a lumber fellow who will pay you to take the tree down. The wood turners love the old big pine trees to make bowls out of. Someone offered several thousand dollars for our tree (and they were going to take it down, not us), but the tree is healthy and was here before us and will probably be here after us as well.

A hui hou,
Cathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here