Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tandavsar

gardening in town

tandavsar
20 years ago

I recently started gardening in my new home in town. I planted Iris' (which I will be pulling out due to pests) a Canna lily, local fern and attempting to grow a few lavandulas (lavender). I would like some suggestions on local plants that are hardy and not too big or bushy, and floral. Any ideas? I bought croton and I'm debating on the torch and heleconias because of their heights. Don't they grow up to about 6'?

Mahalo & Aloha to all!

Comments (5)

• Manoa
    20 years ago

Where exactly are you? There are so many different climates in Hawai'i.

I can tell you that heliconias become invasive. They choked out all the white ginger in our backyard.

• venezuela
    20 years ago

Heliconias are like bamboo in that they are either running types or clumping types so all are not invasive. Many grow taller than 6 feet.

• Matt G
    20 years ago

Heliconia's may range from 2' to 25', and yes what venezuela said I believe is right. there are clumps and runners.

I would recommend growing some natives in your yard if you plan on growing hedges or shrubs or planting anything; perrenial herbs, trees, groundcovers, potted plants, palms, ferns, grasses, vines, flowers, etc.. Also natives are not much high maintenence (sometimes when I encourage the growth of natives, ppl say No right away because ot the thought of the high maintainence), and if you truly want something Hawai'ian then there are the native plants. Native plants have been over looked by the introduced species. However native plants are not the easiest plants to get. Places like the Home Depot sell native plants, and there are several private nursuries on O'ahu, and private growers like myself that propogate and give away native plants. I am hopinng that the native plant community will grow through the years, and native plants will make their way to a good recovery. The native plants need our Aloha for their survival. 90% of all Hawai'is natives you will not find anywhere else in the world. Also many of them are endangered. That means our native flora is among the most unique, in fact this proportion of endemic and indigenous species exeeds that of anywere in the world. In our garden we Have a mixture of Heliconia, gingeres, and costas, along with 92 native plants species, and several potted specimens.

At the Home depot you can find plants like:

Brighamia insignis, Hedyotis littoralis, Gardenia brighamii, Peperomia blanda, Dianella sandsicensis, Myoporum sandwicense, Metrosideros polymorpha (I am strongly against the growth of alien Metrosideros due to the possibility of hybridization), Sida fallax, Plumbago zeylanica, Hibiscus arnottianus, Hibiscus clayi, Hibiscus kokio, Hibiscus arnottianus immaculatus, Hibiscus waimeae, Abutilon menziesii, Vitex rotundifolia, Ipomoea pes-caprae, Bidens torta, B. amplectens. B. cosmoides, Munroidenron racemosum, Pritchardia sp., Dodonaea viscosa, Acacia koa, Nototrichium sandwicense, and others.

More and more native plants are becoming available. More public interest should increase the availability of these plants.

Also I have some native potted plants that I have to clear out of my garden for room so I can propogate more plants. Let me know if you are interested in acquiring any.

Mahalo and Aaaaloha! Malama o ka Aina!
    Matt Garma

Here is a link that might be useful: Native Hawaiian Plant Pictures

• native
    20 years ago

I have to echo Cyanea's sentiments. I grow native plants and Polynesian-introduced plants (medicinal). Native plants are just as beautiful (IMHO more beautiful) as introduced ornamentals. If you want a unique, beautiful yard, give the natives a try. I (and Cyanea, I'm sure) would not mind helping out. As for heliconias being invasive, it all depends on the situation. Here in Hawaii, heliconias (and everything in the Heliconiaceae family) can be (and many are) invasive. I spent some time eradicating ginger (shampoo, white, yellow, torch) from the native forests of Hawaii and I can tell you that they are invasive. They outcompete the native plants for space and end up choking them out. They are hard to get rid of because unles you dig up the whole area in which they are in, the rhizomes will continue to emerge. Just a thought...

• Bruce_Cochrane
    20 years ago

Where is it possible to obtain Hawaiian Native plants for those of us living on the mainland? I lve in San Diego. I have purchased Sida fallax and Hibiscus arnottianus. Any suggestions for plants or seeds?

Mahalo,

Bruce

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting