Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Save My Cucumbers!

Posted by kai-in-kailua Kailua, O'ahu, HI (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 22, 09 at 17:35

Aloha gardening community!

I have a small vegetable garden in my back yard in Kailua O'ahu. I have been gardening when I'm home from college in the summer. I have been learning SO much from the the process! But now I'm stuck!

I think something is viciously attacking my cucumbers! I have two cucumber plants and both of their leaves are suffering from damage. The older leaves turn a much lighter color and have some patches that go all white. Some of the leaves also have what look like bites taken out of them in the middle and around the edges. I have seen some little yellow and black balls on the backs of the leaves as well. Other than that, the backs look pretty similar to the front.

I though these cucumbers had white fly earlier in the summer, so for a while I was spraying them with a soap solution, but I thought that might be damaging the leaves... so I stopped. I also checked the leaves at night for caterpillars once or twice with no luck. Recently I have seen a lot of ants and black lady bug beetles on the cucumbers... could those be what's hurting them?

I'll try attaching some pictures so y'all can see what I'm rambling about!

Thanks so much for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Save My Cucumbers!

hi again!

I have pictures! But I can't figure out how to post them! Is there anyway to do it strait from my computer, or do I have to upload them to the internet first? thanks!

o
RE: Help Save My Cucumbers!

you have to upload them to somewhere on the net first. Photobucket is a popular option-you can open a free account and just cut and paste the code that will insert a picture in your post. If you upload them to a personal site you can use this html code-

< img src="" >

paste the url of the picture (right click on pix, select 'properties', copy) between the quote marks. Don't use the space you see after the first bracket or before the second bracket. if i don't put it in there you won't be able to see the code.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here