Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Creating a garden in central Fl that says Hawaii

Posted by pamoreval FL (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 1, 09 at 10:52

I'm a former Hawaii resident, but I didn't do any gardening back then. I have a large partial shade area and a full sun area in my back yard and want it to feel like Hawaii if possible. Have white butterfly ginger, arelia, ti and croton in the shade area so far. In the sunny area I have started with two lovely little plumeria trees, but that's all so far. I know I have to get red hibiscus! But what else? I remember that yards in Hawaii tend to look Asian without lots of flowers, mainly green foliage. So I don't want to get too colorful. Help? Mahalo to all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Creating a garden in central Fl that says Hawaii

Most of my neighbors have dessert rose (Adenium obesum) and Crown-of-Thorn (Euphorbia milii). Bouganvilla are also planted in the front yards. Although these plants do tend to be showy and colorful when in bloom.

Why not plant a patch of pineapples somewhere in your yard?

o

You've got some good basics-ti, plumeria, croton. Some other good choices would be areca palms, coco palm, laua'e fern, red ginger, crinum lily (Queen Emma lily), taro, bromeliads and mondo grass.

o

Stephanotis if you have a fence, dendrobium orchids, heliconia, monstera, pua keni keni (perfume flower tree, Fagraea berteriana), passion fruit, portulaca, alamander, daylily (edible flower). Also, a mango tree, lychee tree, and avocado tree if you have the space.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here