Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aloha! My favorite Place on Earth...Lehua Question

Posted by Maui_Chic Z3a (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 13, 03 at 13:23

Anyone know: is it legal to export the Ohi'a Lehua plant? Fell in love with them on BI in June. Anyone know where I can get a cutting?

Mahalo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aloha! My favorite Place on Earth...Lehua Question

Ask the Royal Palm Tropicals folks. Shawn grows a lot of plants that aren't on his website for the local greenhouses. He could probably pot one up and send it to you. Their website is: http://www.rpetropicals.com

I don't think it is illegal to export the Ohia Lehua, although they are pretty picky about where they like to grow, it may not do real well there. They will grow into trees and Ohia hardwood is lovely. They are pretty slow growing, though, so it would take awhile.

They usually like higher elevations with cool moist mists. I have a red one and a yellow one in my yard, though, and our elevation is about 400 feet, so that isn't an absolute requirement. The fellow who lived here before transplanted them from his dad's coffee farm up on the mountain.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here