Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alula- brighamia insignis

Posted by ohiagarden (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 8, 08 at 20:39

does anyone know where to get this plant or seeds from this plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alula- brighamia insignis

UC Davis releases a few insignis and rockii every year, I'm not aware of any place else that propagates them regularly. I've also picked up plant at local C&S nurseries. Never have seen seed available.

I have 7 plants, maybe one day they'll bloom at the same time so I can pollinate a few.

o

oooh! I am so jealous :> let me know if you pollinate them! that would be exciting. From what I have read, you don't seem to have to have 2 plants flowering at the same time, just 1 plant with more than one flower. good luck!

o

That's good to know, especially since my two big ones (18in tall) are starting to bud up!

o

These plants are usually available on Oahu and the big island. On the big Island at Amy Greenwell ethnobotanical garden in Capt Cook and at the Rick Barbosa'a native plant nursury in Kaneohe. They sometimes are available at Home depot from the Kaneohe source.

o

Thanks! Do you know address, hours of Rick's nursery? I have left phone messages, and email without luck.

o

They have a web site at http://plantnativehawaii.com/. When I have dealt with them, they prefer you to call ahead. They are located at the top of Haiku road in Kaneohe.

o

Brighamia insignis

Alula is flowering! I want to try hand pollination, anyone have any tips for success?

o

Congratulations on your flowering. Sorry, I don't have any tips, but interested in your results. Let us know how it works out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here