Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What edibles could I grow in one semester?

Posted by veganpoppyseed (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 19, 10 at 23:30

I'm considering spending a semester on Big Island next year in Hilo, from Jan through mid-May. Supposing I find a rental with some garden space, what would I have time to grow? I'm hoping for fruits, veggies, seeds, legumes, edible flowers...anything edible. I'm hoping for plants I won't have to fight too hard to keep the bugs away.

I have been gardening for a few years in Montana with our 90 day growing season. So you can imagine how my mind is running wild thinking about the 120+ days I would have to possibly grow something in Hawaii.

Ok, when I said anything, I meant anything except for zucchini. That's one of the few things that grows like crazy in Montana and I'm not sure I could handle it all year long! ;)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What edibles could I grow in one semester?

Green pole beans and peas are some of my favorites. Maybe lettuce too. Sweet potatoes seemed to grow well for me in the rocky phosphorus rich soil in Hilo. There's lots of issues with fruit flies here and other pests which make it harder to grow certain crops. And some varieties of course do better in Hawaii conditions. Check ouit the College of Tropical Agriculture and human resources website. They have a ton of informantion on growing stuff here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here