Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where are my seedlings?

Posted by Devra Hawaii 12 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 19, 04 at 23:51

Can someone please help me solve the mystery of the disappearing seedlings?

I live on Molokai, where until recently I've been able to grow organic vegetables all year round in raised beds. In the past two months, however, I haven't been able to grow anything at all. Everytime I plant seeds in my beds, they don't sprout. If I plant seedlings, they're gone without a trace by morning.

Most of the seedlings get completely sealed under a tent of shadecloth, so I've ruled out flying and crawling pests. I dug around in the soil and found nothing except a few large earthworms and sowbugs, and I've never seen a snail or slug on my property.

My yard was flooded several times from mountain runoff last winter, so I'm wondering if something invisible arrived with the floods and infested my soil.

My local agricultural extension has no explanation, so I was hoping one of you experienced gardeners might be able to help.

Thanks!
--Devra

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where are my seedlings?

Devra
We live on the Big Island.
We have found that the sow bugs eat our smaller seedlings. We don't plant things out until they are fairly big. Once the plants are big enough the sow bugs don't bother them. We have to keep the flats of seedlings up high enough or the sow bugs just climb up and help themselves. So that may your culprit.

o

• Posted by Devra Hawaii 12 (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 20, 04 at 19:04

Thanks for the reply. It's so nice to have advice from a fellow Hawaii gardener because so many of our gardening problems are unique to Hawaii.

I always use hay mulch over my beds and the sowbugs must love it because there are always tons of them. The strange thing is, I've always planted my tiny seedlings right into the midst of them without problems. Only in the last two months did the seedlings start disappearing.

Do you know if solarizing the soil with a sheet of clear plastic will kill the sowbugs?

o

I think solarization will either kill sow bugs or encourage them to move out of your beds and probably kill any eggs.
You are so right about the unique problems here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here