Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hotzcatz

white ohia

hotzcatz
19 years ago

I was just chatting with a fellow today about trees and such, he was a very knowledgeable sort. He says there is now a white ohia being sold and it isn't a variant of local ohias but from some off island source.

Apparently, our ohia tree came from asia somewhere and the seeds - which are incredibly tiny - floated here on the wind. Then, since it has been pollinated by birds and daytime insects, our ohia has colored flowers since the bright red and yellow flowers attract them better. Now the original ohia trees in asia which the seeds came from were white ohia because they were pollinated by moths. Night time insects prefer white flowers so that makes sense. Has anyone else heard this? I would wonder if the white ohia would be scented since many times night blooming flowers are scented to attract the pollinators. And how will this white ohia interact with the local ohia? Anybody have any guesses?

Comments (10)

• Matt G
    19 years ago

I have heard of an Ohi'a lehua kea (native with white flowers). I have never seen this variety and I don't even know if they exist - but I have read of it. There is a great diversity in the Hawai'ian Ohi'a populations(Metrosideros). I have hiked in areas where I would find up to five types of Ohi'a. The native Hawai'ian varieties (and species) vary greatly in pubescence, leaf shape, growth habit/size, flower color, flowering habit, and habitat. I would strongly recommend that the introduction of non-native Metrosideros spp. should be actively avoided. They may become naturalized and create hybrids with the native species. There are many local varieties to choose from. To be ecologically. Introduction of new horticultural species should come to a halt. Natural Resource management agencies have but much manpower and money into controlling naturalized species.

Here is a link that might be useful: UH botany: Metrosideros

• serendipitymike
    19 years ago

We have seen native ohia with white flowers growing wild on lava south of Hilo. It's a curiosity to point out but not a total rarity. As far as I know it's the same species--just a chance color change in the blossom. I could possibly air layer the next small one I see if you can't live without one! Mike

• hotzcatz
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Aloha Mike,

Thank you for the offer, but there's already two in my yard taking up much of the room for trees, although they are yellow and red instead of white ohia. Later when I get a water line up to the back of the property, then perhaps I'll ask for directions and do an air layer. On lava south of Hilo would be Kalapana? Well, I still have to finish the waterline before putting in new plants. The County thinks we may be on the edge of a drought since they have installed several public water spigots in our area. I'd hate to plant something uphill and then have to hand carry water to it!

I have seen ohia in red, yellow, orange and sort of a salmon color, but haven't seen the white before. It is nice to know that we have some native and can hope folks will encourage those instead of bringing in white ohia from somewhere else.

• LahelaK
    19 years ago

I am interested in anyone that has photos of the white lehua blossoms. I am named for this flower which is the lehua puakea (white blossomed), and was told by my Grandmother that is was a rare and special flower. She told me that the white lehua only bloomed when the volcano erupts. I thought that it was mythical until my mother gave me a picture of one. Any more info of any nature would be great. Mahalo

• Deweydave
    19 years ago

The true white 'ohi'a, or 'ohi'a kea, has to be the Holy Grail among native Hawaiian plants. Legend says it exists. People have claimed to see them. Yet there is no hard evidence of there existence. I have been growing native Hawaiian plants since the early 1980's and the closest I have seen are pale, or clear, yellow lehua flowers. I know several botanists and none of them have ever seen even a picture of 'ohi'a kea. I am not doubting that they exist. But I am skeptical since there has been no concrete proof that they existed. But if it does exist it is likely to be found among M. polymorpha, and perhaps M. macropus.
    There are five species of 'ohi'a, all endemic to the Hawaiian Islands. They are: Metrosideros macropus, M. polymorpha, M. rugosa, M. tremuloides, and M. waialealae. I grow three of the species myself. Those species outside of Hawaii really should not be called 'ohi'a. It just seems to confuse an already complex the genus.
    The genus Metrosideros is comprised of about 50 species throughout the Pacific region and other parts (e.g. S. Africa). There are other non-native species of Metrosideros, which indeed do have white flowers. For example, M. perforata from New Zealand has snow white flowers. And there are some Eucalyptus spp. with whitish flowers. For the untrained eye, these might be confused with 'ohi'a.
    However, this having been said, if any one honestly has the true 'ohi'a kea, I would really love to trade something of equal value provided you live in Hawaii. I have numerous native Hawaiian plants to trade. Please contact me. Aloha a hui hou.

• LahelaK
    19 years ago

In response to "Deweydave", it does exist. I have a picture of the White Lehua Blossom which was on a notecard purchased from the Bishop Museum Gift Shop. The back of the card says it was from Mona Ho Fine Arts Photography, copyright 1990. In addition, my cousin who teaches in Hawaiian Studies at UH, has seen one in the wild.

Growing up, I believed it was a myth. Once I discovered otherwise, I began to try to unfold some of the mythology surrounding this flower. When you say "Legend says it exists", what legend are you referring to? I was named for my Great Grandmother who was born in Waimea in 1865. Her daughter, my Grandmother told me that it blooms when the volcano erupts. Is it possible that the white blossom could be attributed to the temperature of the earth at that time or to some chemical change in the earth?

Any information or reference to the White Lehua/ Ohi'a would be appreciated.

• Deweydave
    19 years ago

Aloha e LahelaK,
    As far as "legend," well perhaps I used this word too loosely and I apologize on my part. I hear it come up in botanical conversations every so often and this is what I was making reference to. I am not doubting people that they have seen it. I have a good friend in Oregon that claims he has seen Bigfoot in the Cascade Mts. while hunting. He is not one who lies or jokes around, and he has a ring of truth to his statement. I have never doubted his word that he did indeed see Bigfoot. But still I remain skeptical about its existence because to me there is no solid proof. So basically, what I was trying to say in a kind, humble manner was "prove it me." I would love to know that it actually does exist and have hard evidence to back it up, such as a specimen.
    It is possible too, that when one says "white" or, "kea" that it is not really a true white, but perhaps a very light yellow, or creamy-yellow colored 'ohi'a lehua that is being referred to as 'ohi'a kea. If this is the case, then yes! 'ohi'a kea does exist. An example of how the word "kea" can be misunderstood by some, is that of Uhiuhi (Caesalpinia kavaiensis). On Maui another name for Uhiuhi is Kea. Why? Tree bark is dark gray, flowers are red, pods are tannish-brown, seeds are light brown, and interior wood is almost black. What's kea about it? I know of no other use for the word "kea" in 'Olelo Hawaiiana and the ancients are rather accurate in descriptions. And probably the Maui ancients had their reasons of using kea for uhiuhi on that we may not understand.
    Still I am skeptical of a true white 'ohi'a kea and will remain as such until I see the hard proof. This is not pessemistic; it is realistic. Please make me a believer!
    Aloha a hui hou

• johndp8888
    15 years ago

I am also in search of a native white blossomed Ohia. I have talked to several who say they have seen them but actually getting to one has not been possible as yet. I thought I had found one in upper Waikoloa, as I could see the white blossoms on the tree from a distance. When I got close, I realized that it was a standard red blossomed tree but the new growth buds where white - giving the impression of white flowers. I photographed the tree and it really looks like white blossoms and posted it this AM on Flickr. Anyone with info please contact me johndp8888@aol.com.

• johndp8888
    14 years ago

I located a photo of a white lehua blossom at http://www.pbase.com/image/90140346 but when I tracked it down to the source, it turned out to be from a powderpuff tree aslo called haole lehua. Another dead end.

• HU-131359359
    last year

White lehua I have one

Sponsored