Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicolai_gw

pH Alkaline from Excess Potassium

nicolai
13 years ago

I was hoping I could get some suggestions on something. I'm looking for an inexpensive way to lower my soil PH, preferably organic for the health of my soil.

Part of our yard is a former ditchline (Excellent soil), which we had filled in with soil brought in from an unknown site. It was compacted with a bobcat and is very clayish, low organic matter. Upon having trouble growing in it, I tested it with CTAHR and found it had excessive amounts of potassium which seem to be raising the pH to 8 or perhaps higher. Ca content is relatively low.

I have had relative difficulty growing in it although had some successes with Kalo, which seem to have sucked up some of the excess K, at least temporarily. But it seems that K is constantly leaching into the garden plots from surrounding compacted soils causing what seems like nutrient uptake problems. ThatâÂÂs my theory anyway.

I have tried garden sulfur from Home Depot to lower the PH and it seems to work but is expensive. Anyone have any suggestions on additives? I have lots of compost on hand and have been adding it with some success but still, the weeds even have a hard time growing in this stuff.

Would cook/norfolk pine-needles work to lower PH? If so, how much to add?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Nic Barca

Comments (2)