Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryfry_gw

Sprouted coconut

ryfry
15 years ago

I live in Scottsdale, Arizona and I'm looking to get my hands on one or two sprouted coconuts--most likely by mail. If anyone can possibly help, please let me know & maybe we can arrange something to make it worth your while. Thank you.

ryfry@cox.net

Comments (3)

• farmfreedom
    15 years ago

If you can get fresh ones with the husk on you can sprout the yourself . First put them point down stem side up in a bucket of water for 5 days changing the fresh water each day then plant it stem side up half way into the soil with the half with the stem exposed.

• steiconi
    15 years ago

I'm not sure that you can mail a fresh or sprouted coconut out of Hawaii. I checked with the Post Office when planning some coconut postcards, and they said the nut had to be dry (so it was very light and rattled) because they don't want live seeds shipped out of the state. A dry coconut won't sprout. (Also there should be no loose stuff on the outside that might hide bugs.)

However, that was just the PO. There are lots of plant materials you cannot ship out of state, and lots that you need USDA approval for before shipping. And what belongs in which category changes, so sometimes it's OK to ship woodroses (for instance), and sometimes it isn't. USDA approval means taking your unsealed package to a USDA station (there are at least 2 in Hilo, one of them at the airport), having them inspect it, then you seal the package and they stamp that it's OK. THEN you can take it to the post office.

And the PO does find stuff that hasn't been approved. A friend sent her neice a fresh orchid lei without the stamp. It was identified on Oahu as unapproved. Since it was innocuous, they sent it to the mainland, but mailed stern warnings to both sender and recipient. My friend and her 11-year old neice are now in a database, and if they do it again, will be fined.

I would suggest that you google USDA Hawaii and see if you can find the rules governing shipping coconuts. Once you know if it's legal, you could post again explaining what's needed.

• garden_isle_dave
    15 years ago

Wassup Ry? Hey Steiconi,

I called the Department of Agriculture check station at the Lihue Airport today to ask them a few questions about mailing plants of all kinds to the mainland.
    In general, here's what I asked, and what I was told (not word for word, but a summation) and I was told this by the guy at the HI DoA who answered the phone, so it doesn't mean it's true, lol.

I asked if seeds were able to be exported(via USPS, through Fedex, etc. etc.) He said to come down, they'd look them over for bugs and make sure it was clean, clear it, pack it, and I could mail it.
    I asked if cuttings were able to be exported(via USPS, etc.) He said to come down, they'd look them over for bugs and make sure it was clean, clear it, pack it, and I could mail it.

I asked if bare-root plants (various seedlings, Ginger, Heliconia, rooted cuttings, etc.) were able to be exported(via USPS, etc) He said to come down, they'd look them over for bugs and make sure it was clean, clear it, pack it, and I could mail it.

I asked, just to make sure, expanding on "bare-root plants" about the plant having live leaves and roots and if they were able to be exported(via USPS, etc) He said to come down, they'd look them over for bugs and make sure it was clean, clear it, pack it, and I could mail it.

He made a point to tell me that all plants brought in are susceptible to a "pest-check"; that they would have to pass in order to get cleared. He said that they're worried about dirt and bugs, and to just make sure the stuff is clean.

Lol. I have a neighbor who is a retired florist, and she told me about these rules a few days back when I asked her. She said too that it was a long time ago and maybe they had changed since then, but maybe not much. I don't know, maybe if I call tomorrow again I'll get a completely different story... we taking bets? =p

Just thought I'd put that out there for some added second-hand info, hardly anything available online, and if you email them...well, you'll have figured it out on your own by the time they get back to you, so no worries, lol.

Aloha, take it easy and I'll talk with ya later guys,

~Dave
    Kauai, Hawaii

Sponsored