Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fast growng hedge/trees

Posted by kkkelly Oahu (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 15, 09 at 10:40

Any suggestions for growing a fast tall hedge in Waialua in the sun that could be pretty. too?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fast growng hedge/trees

Hibiscus acetosella is my number one recommendation.

Maybe it's just that I like it so much and it could fit in this situation, lol.
It will be sun-hardy once established (seedlings may need some protection until they're about a foot or so, give it a few weeks) and looks like Red Japanese Maple. With the addition of the red Hib. flowers of course. The stuff grows like mad, a seedling grew to 4' in 1.5 months for me. Once it gets that tall, you can top it off and keep trimming it so that it will fill out and become more of a solid hedge.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images 'Hibisus Aetosella'

o
RE: Fast growng hedge/trees

So many possible answers to that question! How much space can you give the hedge? By 'pretty' do you mean flowering or just nice to look at? How tall do you need it to get? How soon does it need to get to that size?

Bamboo is fast. So is Variegated Hau. Duranta is fairly quick and bears those beautiful blue flowers and golden berries at the same time. Even a row of bananas might work. A'alii is moderately fast and a native. Since you mention trees, Glircidia might be another option.

Keep in mind that how fast the hedge grows is usually a pretty good indicator of how much maintenance will be required to keep it in bounds later. Don't ask me how i know ; )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here