Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf Coconuts in Hawaii

Posted by andyandy 6bMI (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 6, 06 at 11:40

I know there is a seperate palms forum but not too many people from Hawaii post on it. I was wondering if there are dwarf variety coconuts in Hawaii. I ordred a couple of sprouting coconuts back in the spring. having come from Hawaii I assumed they were both "pacific tall" varieties. In Florida they have red, green, and golden dwarfs. I am not aware of these being in Hawaii. Could anyone tell me if there are indded dwarfs there. I sure think I got a golden dwarf. I would appreciate any input.

thanx,
Andy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf Coconuts in Hawaii

Aloha Andy,

There is the Samoan Coconut which is shorter than the usual tall coconut trees. It has larger coconuts which are easier to reach from the ground but I don't know if it would exactly be a "dwarf" anything. It still grows into a fairly large sized tree. The nuts from the Samoan coconut are about half again as large as the regular coconuts. They seem more round, somehow, too.

A hui hou,
Cathy

o

Cathy-
Thank you for the information. When I say "dwarf" I mean a palm that tops out at 30-40 feet rather than the 80 feet a tall can get to.

thanx again,
Andy

o

There is an excellent article in the book "Traditional Trees of Pacific Islands" that covers dwarf coconuts in detail by varietal. There is also a web site that covers the same data at http://www.agroforestry.net/tti/index.html. Look under Cocos nucifera in the list.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here