Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Those _ _ _ _ ants and the aphids

Posted by pueokai 11-Kauai (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 28, 08 at 15:18

After urging patience in a previous post and after trying to be "Mr. Organic" and not using any pesticides - only organic insecticidal soap; I now find myself about at wits end with these dang ants and aphids. Is there anything they won't attack ? My citrus trees, gardenias, vincas, and every other ornamental I put in seem to be fair game for these murderous beasts. The soap works, but only for a couple weeks. Is there any animal and people friendly something I can spread or put into traps that these ants will prefer and take home to the nest ; and then die !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ?

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Those _ _ _ _ ants and the aphids

this probably has NOTHING to do with being organic but it has worked wonders for us and we have 2 small dogs that it doesn't harm. The AMDRO granules from home depot or Ace. That stuff is amazing! $15 well spent. Killed all our Fire Ant problems. We had an infestation on our property (in and outside) and next door neighbors too. Now, they're all gone.

o

Try Tanglefoot. It's a sticky substance like flypaper painted or sprayed around the trunk, stops the ants.

o

• Posted by steiconi 11-Big Island, Hawai (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 13, 08 at 14:17

I don't know if it works with fire ants (and you didn't say that's what you've got), but I've used a mix of borax (from the laundry aisle), sugar, and water for years. The ants eat it, carry it back to the nest. It takes a few days to kill off a whole nest. There's at least one commercial product, Terro, that's pretty much the same thing, but making your own is cheaper. And you can use the extra borax to get your clothes clean, too!

The insecticidal soap or oil will probably control the aphids better once the ants are gone. Incidentally, more ants will come in once a nest is gone, so you have to keep treating.
good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here