Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any suggestions for Kona food plantings?

Posted by konahood Hawaii (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 17, 09 at 17:14

After 6 years of stubbornly trying to grow what I like to eat the most without much success, I'm ready to try what grows best. My mangoes, lilikoi, coconuts, macnuts, citrus, papaya, bananas, tomatoes, squash, herbs, green onions and dryland taro have all done fairly well, but the avocado, coffee, cacao and lychee have not done very well. I am at 100 feet elevation and get about 12 inches annual rainfall. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any suggestions for Kona food plantings?

Beans.

Wing bean, lima bean, yard longs, cowpeas should all grow well for you.

If you can grow tomatoes then you should be able to grow eggplant.

For leafy greens maybe try amaranth or even chard if you can give it a little bit of shade.

Sounds like you've found a lot that grows for you already!

o
RE: Any suggestions for Kona food plantings?

Sweet potato and breadfruit!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here