Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Seashore paspallum sod lawn care

Posted by pueokai Kauai - 11 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 25, 08 at 17:52

Aloha Gang,

Need some advice about my new seashore paspallum lawn. I scored some paspallum sod from a friend and was able to cover about a 8 ft strip most all the way around my house. Unfortunately I didn't have a tractor so I had to use a pick and try to remove all the wydellia that was growing in the area where I wanted to lay the sod. Needless to say even though I dug deep, there was no way to get out all of that hideous ground cover (wydellia). Well the sod has taken very well; but of course the wydellia is coming out in all the cracks between the sod pieces. I am also still getting a bit of the stubborn guinea grass coming out in spots also. I threw rocksalt out and its doing a pretty good job of killing most of the weeds, but not so much the wydellia. I'm not sure how much rocksalt I can throw onto the lawn at once. Will too much burn the paspallum ? I've heard that some of the golf courses use a saltwater mixture sprayed directly on the weeds instead of just throwing out the rocksalt over the lawn or piling it over each of the weeds. Can any of you give me some solid advice on how to handle this best ?

Also, what is the best way, what is best to use, and how often, do I fertilize the paspallum ?

I also planted some old bent bermuda sod to finish the job. That took well also but I have the same problem. What should I use to control the wydellia and stuff around that ? Should I fertilize the same ? Will the paspallum eventually take over the bermuda ?

Mahalo for any suggestions you can offer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Seashore paspallum sod lawn care

Your Wydellia is very salt tolerant probably more so than the lawn and is difficult to remove by hand.

You can use a selective broadleaf weed killer...try it on a test sample of lawn first.

You also can mix up a "Roundup" solution and paint it on the new Wydellia leaves. Be careful not to slop it on the lawn as it will kill the lawn.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here