Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
halemalu

pepper trees, is the pepper good?

halemalu
18 years ago

there are pepper trees growing all around us with the red pepper corns on them. i thought that is where pepper comes from, but i was told that pepper corns grow on vines. these are smaller. i tasted one and it seems like pepper allright. haven't been able to find info on them when i googled this. have any of you more info?

Comments (16)

• LisaCLV
    18 years ago

I'm not sure which species you have-- Schinus terebinthifolius is more commonly called Christmasberry here, but is also known as Brazilian Pepper Tree. Less common in Hawaii is the California Pepper Tree, Schinus molle, which has kind of a weeping willow appearance.

Fruits of either one are called "pink peppercorns"-- no relation to the black or white peppercorns that commercial pepper comes from. They can be used as a seasoning, though. I've never tried it, so I don't know how it tastes, but I've seen them in gift shops and gourmet stores, usually WAY overpriced considering how common they are.

Hey, go try 'em!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pink Peppercorns

• Josh
    18 years ago

I recently googled Schinus for info on using the berries for decoration. Several sites mentioned that the foliage gives some folks a skin rash. I don't remember whether that included the berries...but just wanted to mention.

josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Schinus

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

Same family as cashew, mango and sumac. Facciola, CORNUCOPIA II (Kampong Publications) says of Schinus molle "Dried, roasted berries are used as a pepper substitute" but those of S. terebinthifolius, although "imported from Reunion" and "sold in expensive specialty markets", "used as a spice in Cajun and Nouvelle cousines" are also "known to cause rashes, vomiting, and diarreah in some sensitive individuals".

• junglegina
    18 years ago

I live in Florida and was appalled when they started planting these Brazilian pepper trees on Lanai, where my family is from. These trees are EVIL. They are extremely aggressive and will choke out everything else with their dense, climbing growth. My advice is to get rid of these while you can, if it's not too late. See this link for additional information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pepper tree info

• hotzcatz
    18 years ago

Aloha Halemalu,

If you want the black peppercorn variety of pepper, it does grow as a vine with heart shaped leaves. See if your plant store (does Molokai have plant stores?) has one. Otherwise Royal Palm Enterprises on the Big Island has a website which I think you can order one from.

Hey, I looked, he does have a website and he's having a sale right now. He's a nice guy and grows lovely plants, I buy lots from him at the semi-annual plant sales.

A hui hou,
    Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Royal Palm Enterprises, Spice page

• mllebondgirl007_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

Well, there's a huge California pepper tree in my neighbor's front yard and I have full access to the pepper berries hanging over the fence.
    Yesterday a friend of mine told me "hey this is pepper, red pepper," he said.
    "Are you sure," I said, "yes," he said, "you can put it in your pepper grinder."
    Well today I had to make Bison soup so I added a few clusters of this california pepper tree to my soup, the taste is a little strong, I did use the bark also.
    I'll use it again, but it doesn't taste like black peppercorn.
    It does have a very intense flavor and aroma that's actually good but maybe I should have used less, my soup is still awesome.
    I called poison control center, they said I may have a stomach ache but I'm fine.
    DM

• dave_nagel
    16 years ago

I have two of these pepper trees here in California. One I cut down at the request of my neighbor, who was selling his house at the time and thought it would help property values if the tree were gone. However, a year later, that thing was back up and living large with new sprouts appearing up to 20 feet away from the original stump. Since then, now two years later, it's been a nightmare to control. Weeds I can pull. This monstrosity is connected through a root system and just can't be controlled, and the stalks can't be pulled, just cut. Does anyone know of any way, without using herbicides, to get rid of these things for good? Are there any competitors to these trees that could be planted nearby to keep them from thriving? I've recently encouraged some vines, weeds, and grasses nearby in the hopes that they might choke off this pepper tree, but to no avail.

On the plus side, if we ever want to terraform Mars, I know what plant would do the trick!

• coyle
    16 years ago

I don't know if I'd risk eating stuff like that but I know the foliage can cause a rash because a neighbor kid got all burned up from getting into one. They are EVERYWHERE around here; it's amazing.

• pueokai
    16 years ago

These trees are the worst,I'm at present trying to clear the X-mas Berry as well as Scrambled Eggs from my property perimeter which the neighbor and past owner let get established. They are tangled and messy, and dave nagel is right; they spred like wildfire. How about that stump rotter stuff they sell at Wal Mart - will that kill it after it's chainsawed ? How about brushing the top of the stump with roundup - will that work ?

• backgammonlover
    7 years ago

The AMA Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants reports that the
    triterpenes found in the fruits can result in irritation of the throat,
    gastroenteritis,diarrhea, and vomiting in man.[9]
    Like most other members of the Anacardiaceae, Brazilian pepper contains
    active alkenyl phenols, e.g., urushiol, cardol, which can cause contact
    dermatitis and inflammation in sensitive individuals.[10][11]
    Contact with the “sap” from a cut or bruised tree can result in rash,
    lesions, oozing sores, severe itching,reddening and swelling (especially
    of the eyes), and welts.[12]

The burning of plant matter releases many airborne irritants, so is
    not an effective means of control. It is said to have a "mace-like"
    effect upon nearby people and is highly advised against.

so if u want to eat those fruits, good luck

• Kauaiguy
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I live in Hawaii and I have several Hawaiian pepper plants. They're quite hot and not only is it a local favorite, but most people that end up living here ends up wanting one. Let's see if I can find a pix.

I have this planted in a barrel. You can buy the seeds from the internet. Just google Hawaiian Chili Pepper plant.

• nieledakine
    7 years ago

So far there have been at least three completely unrelated plants mentioned. The only thing in common is they have "pepper" as part of their common name. I don't know the Latin names for them so I can't specifically distinguish them all for you.

Kauaiguy, the picture you posted is commonly called the "Hawaiian Chili" or "Hawaiian Chili Pepper Plant". Not sure what it's Latin name is, but it's commonly planted in people's yards. It has a very hot small red chili type pepper on it. It doesn't spread and go all over the place or get much bigger than a large shrub.

The Christmasberry/Brazilian Pepper/Californian Pepper Tree is a problem tree. It has loads of seeds and spreads all over the place. I've not heard of anyone using the seeds as spice but I've not looked or asked, either.

The pepper that is used to make black/white/red pepper, the sort that shows up in the pepper shaker on most folk's tables is grown on a vine with heart shaped leaves, not a tree at all. Nor does it spread and cause trouble.

• L Renea Woodward-Turner
    7 years ago

I would suggest drilling a few deep holes, at least 6 inches by 1/2" into the remaining tree trunk soon after cutting tree down. Fill holes with strongest concentrate of Roundup you have and repeat same when liquid has absorbed into trunk. 1-3 weeks? Same process should be done to walnut tree stumps.

• parker25mv
    7 years ago

The little red berries can be used sparingly as a pepper-like spice. A little bit is often added in clear pepper grinders for decorative purposes and to add some variety. But supposedly eating too much of these pepper berries can cause you nausea or to throw up. There are some people that are allergic to handling the leaves of the pepper tree, so I would imagine these same people may be more sensitive to eating the berries. The little red berries from the pepper tree are not real pepper, and real pepper tastes better. But if you want to taste 1 or 2 of the red berries, it's perfectly fine and won't cause any harm. Your mouth might feel just a very tiny bit irritated though.

• bill smith
    6 years ago

garlon4 or at least Crossbow on the stumps and shoots will work far better than Roundup.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations