Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pua Keni Keni

Posted by leafylea Australia.QLD (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 1, 04 at 21:00

Rare in our area, cant find out much about the needs of
growing this plant.Mine is only about 12' high in a pot
and doing well.Should I pot it up for awile or try it inthe ground.Any cultural notes welcomed. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pua Keni Keni

Pua-keni-keni (Fagraea berteriana) is a subtropical or tropical plant. Hardy to 40 degrees. It likes sun, moisture and good rich organic soil, according to my organic growing guide. Will grow to a 20 foot tree or can be kept as a shrub.

Very fragrant, you will enjoy this shrup when it blooms.

Good luck
Phil

o

Thanks for the useful advice.No one here has ever heard of it,so its very helpful.Cheers

o

From my experience, this is a pretty hardy little plant. We have one that was uprooted when we put in our rock wall. The guys just bull-dozered it out of the ground and stuck it in another hole that they had dug. It had a pretty good chunk taken out of the trunk by the dozer's teeth. We tied an old shirt around it, and several months later took it off. Also, every time our coconut tree gets trimmed, debris falls on our poor puakenikeni and it suffers a fewbroken branches. Also, it gets a pretty good covering of sooty mold from time to time, but it just keeps trucking along and seems to be thriving despite all the hardships. Best of luck with yours!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here