Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plumeria seed?

Posted by rredbbeard SE CT USA/zone 6 (rredbbeard@aol.com) on
Mon, Oct 22, 07 at 21:29

Does anyone have plumeria seed that they would be willing to share with a mainlander? I don't see much listed on the trade page here on GW. I suspect that Hawaii won't let me send you anything from my own trade list, but I would be happy to send a SASE if you have some seed available.

Thanks!

--Rick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plumeria seed?

Are you aware that the plants don't necessarily breed true from seed? That the beautiful cultivar may be lost?

Also, I don't think that plumerias often produce seeds...just an observation. It's sorta rare.

o

Plumeria do make seeds but most people propagate them by cuttings since cuttings are so much easier to get than seeds.

To send cuttings and seeds to Hawaii, they have to be inspected by your State Agriculture first. Our inspectors here don't charge anything for the inspections, but we have to take the plant, seeds or cuttings as well as the box they will be sent in down to the inspection station. The items get inspected then packaged and then the inspectors put red stamps all over the box and then it is ready to mail away.

We can send seeds and cuttings to all states and we can send plants without dirt to all states except Arizona, Louisana, Texas and California. (I'm pretty certain those are the four "no root" states.) I'm not quite sure exactly what the incoming plants, seeds and cuttings requirements are. Usually "no dirt" unless it is from a certified nursery, I think. Your state ag folks would know.

o

Can Plumeria grow well in wet conditions? Here on the Hilo side of the big isle, much of the plumeria in my neighborhood has a green fungus on the trunk. On Kona side, it seems like plumeria thrives better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here