Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steiconi

Really big, empty garden

steiconi
15 years ago

Hi,

I'm buying a couple of acres in Fern Acres, Puna, on the Big Island (about 1500 foot elevation, plenty of rain). The front acre has been ripped and cindered, and pretty much left bare (except for the house); the rest is native ohia and ferns.

I need to plant some fast-growing trees/bushes for privacy screens, plus a lot for fruit and flowers.

This is the biggest garden I've ever had, and my first in Hawaii. I am feeling overwhelmed by the size of this project. Several friends have offered cuttings, seeds, and keikis, and we plan to build a greenhouse.

Any suggestions on what to plant first? We plan to start in the ripped area, and selectively clear areas in the natural section as needed, leaving lots of the natives.

Can I plant most things any time of year, or are some plants seasonal that way?

Suggestions for fast-growing screen plants, that preferably bear fruit or flowers?

Thanks!

Lee

Comments (12)

• leilaniguy
    15 years ago

Congratulations on your new home! A couple of plants commonly used here as hedge are Podocarpus and Areca palms. Neither have noticable flowers. Hau is one that grows fast, has yellow flowers that turn red as they age. Binga-Binga is fast growing, has huge leaves. There are several others. You should be able to plant just about anything anytime and have success.

• steiconi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks for the suggestions. I'm familiar with everything except Binga-Binga, can't even find anything on google about it (unless you mean human babies, lots of those turned up in the search)

Is there another name for Binga-Binga?
    thanks,
    Lee

• leilaniguy
    15 years ago

I misspelled it. Bingabing: Macaranga mappa. It grows wild along Kanoelehua Ave. next to Hilo airport.

• steiconi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ah. I always thought that was some kind of fig relative. Nice plants, would fill up an acre pretty quick!

thanks!
    Lee

• mauirose
    15 years ago

Macaranga mappa!

Thank-you-have been wondering what that is for a few years now.

• nicolai
    15 years ago

Bingabing is an invasive weed and not recomended for introduction into new areas. It is recomended that before you plant anything, you look up the species weed risk assessment at the HEAR website.

Good luck with your new yard.

Here is a link that might be useful: Weed Risk Assessment for Hawaii and Pacific Islands

• steiconi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the website, nicolai! But Macaranga isn't listed on the site as invasive. Or did I enter it wrong?
    Lee

• leilaniguy
    15 years ago

I checked @ www.hear.org , not listed as invasive there either. It does grow wild, but everything does here.

• farmfreedom
    15 years ago

I know mulberries will but they are invasive . Bananas will give privacy , grapes , figs , corn, sunflowers,for quick growth.

• steiconi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Grapes! I didn't know they'd do well here, I'll add them to my list. And sunflowers... Corn, figs, and bananas were already on the list.

Incidentally, that house sale fell through weeks ago, but we've nearly closed escrow on a different house just down the hill in Hawaiian Acres with very similar issues (but THREE acres), so this is all great!

thank you, and more suggestions are welcome!

• nicolai
    15 years ago

Bingabing is definitly very invasive although somewhat under the radar. I'm not surprized that they haven't assessed it yet for invasive risk. It might not do very well at your altitude. When I did a semester project for colledge on distributions of plants from sea level to 3500 feet, I found that bingabing faded out my the 200 altitude suggesting it was a coastal invasive. But at the coast, I've had it in my yard and it puts off a lot of seeds and starts many many seedlings everywhere. Not something you want in your yard.

As for what to plant, it would be a good idea to look at what your neighbors are growing in order to get an idea of what grows well in your area. I've been up in those new forests and seen people growing avocado and a variety of other fruits and nuts. Off the top of my head, I would recomend trying:

breadfruit, jackfruit, banana, oranges, lemons, grapefruit, longon, rambutan, litchi, mango, starfruit, star apple, mangosteen, atamoya, soursop, coconut, macadamia, ...those are some of my favorites.

• steiconi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Nicolai,
    those are some of my favorites, too. I know the citrus do well up there, and some of the others, but I've heard mangosteen needs to be nearer sea level. Too bad, because I would love a mangosteen!

Sponsored