Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple Water Hyacinth Available - East Side, Kauai

Posted by garden_isle_dave 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 8, 08 at 1:03

Aloha everyone,

Anyone want/need some pond plants? I'm cleaning up a pond, and I've got quite a few large purple water hyacinth (see link for photos) available. Just give me a shout if you're interested and we can work somethin out !

Aloha,
~Dave
Kauai, Hawaii

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo (Courtesy of D.K. Photography HI)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple Water Hyacinth Available - East Side, Kauai

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 18, 08 at 23:33

Would seem to have considerable noxious weed potential there.

Here is a link that might be useful: PLANTS Profile for Eichhornia (water hyacinth) : USDA PLANTS

o

Aloha bboy,

I believe it is in fact defined by the USDA as a "noxious weed" in some states, though I'm not sure if it is considered such in Hawaii or not. People here plant it in small controlled ponds though, this isn't something that you would throw into a natural lake or pond...Not sure how to word it, but similar to "guns don't kill people, people kill people..."

Different places, different opinions =/

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 19, 08 at 15:50

Yes: It's funny Hawaii does not list them already.

Nuclear energy is safe too, as long as accidents never occur.

o

That's a generous offer (I'm assuming it's free), Dave.

It's great to put Water Hyacinth in confined ponds to suck up all those nutrient from the water, but gardeners should be aware that they really are an invasive species in Hawaii and other places that the plant is not native to; also birds could carry the seeds of this plant and establish it in pristine stream, lake, pond, etc.

I used to collect this plant in my local stream when I was a kid to put it on my fish tank; and then realizing how unsuitable it was when it keeps dying on me! The stream to this day still have water hyacinth floating around.

o
RE: Free Purple Water Hyacinth - East Side, Kauai

~Free or for trade~
If anyone wants some, I would like to get rid of them and don't want to just dump 'em all, but will have to if I can't find anything else to do with them.
Just reply or give me a shout if you'd like some, take care n TTYL

o

Don't simply dump them. I chop them up with a machete and use it as mulch. Good weed suppression plus it keeps the ground moist. Chop it when its fresh and succulent otherwise, when it dries up it gets tough and fibrous.

o

Much mahalo for the tips herbie, didn't even think of mulching it, sigh! Would have seriously wasted it, lol. I think that's what I'm going to end up doing, so good thing you got this to me quickly =p Take care and thanks again,

~D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here