Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hotzcatz

Keep compost pile from sprouting

hotzcatz
9 years ago

We just got another house and the backyard is a "bit" overgrown. Like taller than me and with trees type of overgrown. There's "lucky" bamboo that has taken over an area (it's not bamboo, it's actually a type of dracena and nothing "lucky" about it), there is some sort of pink creeper vine all over another section, there's a big clump of elephant or maybe it's Resnor grass, there was a lot of English Ivy, but that's been hacked back. There's the back half of the lot I've not even been able to look at yet.

So, we've been taking truckloads of green waste to the transfer station but (dare I say it?) that's such a waste. I'd compost it, but I don't know how to do it so a lot of this won't sprout out of the compost pile and become an even bigger mess. What's the proper way to make a compost pile that doesn't sprout all over the place?

Is there any way to compost grasses whole or do I have to chop them up? Somehow, I think that would just make one big stem of grass into a zillion smaller stems of grass. All of them trying to sprout and take over the planet. Putting sections of that creeper vine in a pile is likely to just create a dense mass of thriving creeper vines. Are taking it all to the transfer station or RoundUP the only answers?

Sponsored