Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
randg_gw

Finally! My Dragon Fruit has fruited.

randg
11 years ago

It was more than a couple years ago that I started to acquire the Dragon Fruit vines and starting planting it. It was a long wait, and I didn't even know it was about to bloom when I first saw the first flower on the vine. That first flower bloomed the second day after I discovered it. After that first flower bloomed, a successive buds started to form on the vines. I was ecstatic!

The flowers of Dragon Fruit was huge, most are larger than the palm of my hands. I waited till midnight to take pictures of those heady, musky smelling blooms. I also hand-pollinated it with my fingers and then used paint brushes. It wasn't needed, because all the bloom produced fruits even the ones that I didn't hand pollinated.

I can't believe how expensive Dragon Fruit was and still is at the groceries and farmer's market. Fortunately for me, I now have a Dragon Fruit plants that has reach its maturity to bear fruits.

This Dragon Fruit variety is the white-flesh, the commonly available when it is in season. The taste is bland in my opinion, although it taste quite refreshing when it is eaten chilled on a hot summer day.

A plant store next to Times Supermarket close to my area was selling the red-flesh variety. I'm hoping what they have said is true and the taste will be better than the one I currently have. Is there any physical differential in the look of the vines between the white and red flesh variety? As of right now the structure of the vines and the thorns looks the same. At the time the height of that red-flesh variety is half a foot, and it is now three times that height.

Comment (1)

Sponsored