Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bringing plants or seeds back to Pennsylvania

Posted by threas z6 PA (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 25, 07 at 7:40

My brother is going to Hawaii for the month of January. What could I get him to bring back?
Theresa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bringing plants or seeds back to Pennsylvania

A lot of effort is expended to protect the mailand from pests, undesireable plant materials and related items found in Hawaii. It is best to not take materials back at all. If you have specific interests and really want to do so, here are the rules as I understand them.

Taking plants to the mainland is controlled by the Federal Dept of Agriculture. Your brother can buy some variety of precertified plants from the airports, ABC stores and specialty stores.

He can also take back plants that have been prepared for shipping, with all the shipping and packing materials to the local Federal Dept of Agriculture. After they have been bare rooted and cleaned, you can hope they will pass them. They will not pass all plants. It is a lot of work for plants that will probably not make it in Pennsylvania. and even with all of this, there is some danger of bringing undesireable materials to your home.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here