Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kuvera

Ridding garden of slugs

kuvera
17 years ago

Does anyone know of some way I can rid my garden of slugs ? I garden organically so some non-chemical method would be preferable. I am in Keaau on the Big Island in Hawaii.

Comments (16)

• johndp8888
    17 years ago

The traditional way is to fill a shallow pan with beer. Bury the pan so the lip is just above the ground level so the slug can go over the lip and into the beer. The slug dies in the beer. Try it while others reply with maybe better ways.

• rositoz
    17 years ago

I hate snails and slugs more than any garden pest, because they are so destructive! I have found that the very best way to nearly irradicate slugs from your garden is combination of hand-picking and Sluggo.

I know that hand-picking may not be for the squeemish. I usually go out in the yard once a week (well after dark) with scissors and a flashlight.

Sluggo is a non-toxic bait that I had great success with in the past. It is iron Phosphate, so it helps your soil, too! We get it at Home Depot, but I have included a link.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sluggo Snail and Slug Bait

• hotzcatz
    17 years ago

Chickens like to eat slugs and then you get eggs in return for slug removal. They will dig up your plants, though, so it is best to not let them in the garden until it has become somewhat established. They can patrol outside the garden, though, that will keep the quantity of nearby slugs down and then when the garden plants are more mature, the chickens can be let in there for bug patrol on the afternoons after you've picked your ripe fruits.

• gary96720
    17 years ago

Ducks and geese are notorious slug and snail eaters too.

Gary in Hilo

• Matt G
    17 years ago

I like the flashlight and clippers method. Go out there at night and start slicin um in half.

I also heard about using lettuce or cabbage (or other slug magnets) leaving it out, and disposing of the slugs on it during their active hours. Never tried it though; I'm more on the darkside of pest control - poison bait.

I know copper deters slugs. I've seen copper tape for sale specifically intended for deterring slugs and snails.

• hotzcatz
    16 years ago

After you've removed all the slugs, diatomaceous earth is supposed to be something slugs won't crawl over. You could line the garden paths around the garden with the diatomaceous earth and hopefully the slugs would then stay out.

• firegurl
    16 years ago

I like the beer methods too. But the dish of beer gets kinda gross when its full of dead slugs. I use a big old log instead. Dump a beer or two over the log, preferably a wet or rotting one. Place the log, beer side down in the middle of the garden or slug area. In the morning they will all be crawling on the underside of the log and then all you have to do is move the log to the woods or somewhere away from the gardens. At least this way there is not a big pile of dead slime.
    ;) Firegurl
    Danielle

• buzzy
    16 years ago

I'm gardening in the pacific northwest where our slugs can get to 8 or 9 inches long & come in colors & patterns
    orange, brown, black, olive green, leopard pattern, and yellow - the famous banana slug. They are a major problem and the only serious threat organic gardeners face here.

what are Hawaiian slugs like?

I'm an organic gardener but I make an exception for slugs - the only exception in my org garden! I had virtually no success with Sluggo, tho tried it over one summer

the only thing that works for me is Deadline. I don't use a lot of it, only protect the plants they're attacking without mercy. Draw a line around the plant with liquid Deadline and it's 100% effective.

You will never "get rid" of slugs. They're migratory. You kill some and others move right in. It's better to focus on protecting specific plants.

• simpleweeble
    13 years ago

I have a community garden in Honolulu. I've had luck detering slugs with crushed eggshells. I sprinkle the eggshells around my plants and noticed that they are still intact. I think slugs don't like the texture of the shell.

I've also heard coffee grounds are another deterrent. Going to test this one.

• silversword
    13 years ago

Creating an attractive place for the slugs works as well. Get a board, prop it up so there's a nice space underneath. They'll be attracted to the damp under the board and go there in the heat to stay cool. It also works for snails. Then you just scoop 'em off.

On the other hand, clear out any litter you have around that they may be able to hide under.

• nancyanne_2010
    13 years ago

eggshells - the slugs get cut on them and won't cross it.

• grateful_gardeners
    13 years ago

I have developed a new solution to garden slug problems and am looking for people to test it in different zones. It is a totally green product and requires no maintenance. Any takers?

• sunshinewaves
    13 years ago

I've heard sluggo works extremely well, you might want to give it a shot!

• randg
    13 years ago

grateful gardeners,

If you don't mind, could you elaborate more of your new solution of getting rid of the pesky slugs? So far, my method is using a barbecue stick and piercing the slugs whenever I see them.

I tried using Diatomaceous earth products for slugs and snails, but they are getting bit expensive for me. Also the last time I used them, earthworm were also the casualty--I feel bad when I see the earthworm dying.

• ritchs
    13 years ago

The post above by johndp8888 using beer is in my opinion the best way to kill slugs. Without question, I have been absolutely amazed how many dead slugs I have found the next day using this method! And beer will not hurt any other creatures either like pets.

• motardman
    13 years ago

I put about 3 inches of water in a container, add about 1/4 cup of salt and stir well. Then I take chopsticks and the container out into the garden at nite with a flashlite and pick them up with the chopsticks and deposit them in the water. DEAD. Do this periodically and you can sorta tame the population.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals