Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hawaiifruitgrower

New to forum

HawaiiFruitGrower
11 years ago

Hi guys names Brennan, this is a neat forum and in glad I joined! So about me: I found my green thumb and live for agriculture at a very young age. Now I love growing vegetables, and fruit trees is my favorite! I have 2 avocado trees: variety a Kahaluu and ota, 2 lychee: variety kaimana, 2 orange: variety Washington navel and cara cara, two tangerines: variety unknown, one lime: variety is rare called kurasai, lilikoi passion fruit, and a avocado seedling I just grafted with a yamagata scion, pretty good ah for a 15 yr old! Well anyways that's a little about myself, I hope to post some pics of what I have since its a beautiful day in Maui!

Comments (21)

• HawaiiFruitGrower
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Washington navel orange graft almost 2 yrs old, 1 year in the ground!

• HawaiiFruitGrower
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pic of my yellow lilikoi fruits! I have about 15 more on the vine!

• HawaiiFruitGrower
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My tangerine air layer I made, my family doesn't know the variety but its a good sweet one!

• HawaiiFruitGrower
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pic of my loquat tree, almost 15 yrs old produces a fairly good fruit

• HawaiiFruitGrower
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pic of my newest tree, a ota avocado! It's a graft and should be producing in a few years!

• HawaiiFruitGrower
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Newest avocado tree, a Kahaluu variety! I've tried this avocado before its the best I've eaten! Hopefully mine starts producing in one yr or maybe two!

• HawaiiFruitGrower
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lychee graft, it's a kaimana variety probably the best Hawaiian variety!

• HawaiiFruitGrower
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cara cara navel orange graft, this one will be producing in 3 years

• HawaiiFruitGrower
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Avocado graft, it's a unknown variety seedling so I veneer grafted it with a yamagata avocado scion! Hopefully it catches, if your wondering that's plastic bags covering the grafting tape.

• randg
    11 years ago

Those are awesome! I, too, have been exposed to growing things and getting different fruits from the tree, instead of the store, at a very young age. I remembered I used to climb the trees to either get avocados, jackfruit, santol, caimito, mangoes, and other tropical fruits, even before I can learn how to ride a bike.

That changed though when I moved to Hawaii, and will take several years before I can use my green thumb again for serious planting. And when I finally had a backyard, the first thing that was done is to plant fruit trees!

• randg
    11 years ago

One fruit tree that you should try is Jaboticaba or Brazilian Grape. This is the fruit that is fruiting for me for the first time, and the taste of it is so delicious! However, buy the biggest/oldest plant you can afford because this fruit tree grow very slowly, and will take years to fruit from seed.

By the way, you can use Flickr to post pictures. That is what I do. You can correct it too, to rotate the pictures, etc.

• HawaiiFruitGrower
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another one if my kaimana lychee grafts, been in the ground almost 1 year

• HawaiiFruitGrower
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Radng, I really wanted a jaboticaba, my grandpa has a small fruit orchard on the big island, and I've tried it I really enjoy the taste, but only. Thing no one sells it, I also wanted to buy a abiu and Haitian star apple tree!

• HawaiiFruitGrower
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Radng, I really wanted a jaboticaba, my grandpa has a small fruit orchard on the big island, and I've tried it I really enjoy the taste, but only. Thing no one sells it, I also wanted to buy a abiu and Haitian star apple tree!

• HawaiiFruitGrower
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My tangerine tree this tree is small for its age, it's about 30 to 35 yrs old in Kahului our soil is sand so there's not much nutrients so I guess that's why it's small, yet produces a good tangerine!

• HawaiiFruitGrower
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's my kurasai lime, I believe it's like a have lime half lemon, it's great to use in drinks, we use it poke! I have never heard of this variety any where else, probably a very old variety. There's some new fruit on it, it produces about 2 times a year

• randg
    11 years ago

Check Frankies Nursery from Waimanalo, they sell Jaboticaba and they do ship. That's where I got mine originally five years ago, I want to visit that place again but don't have time.

• HawaiiFruitGrower
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Randg, I checked their website, their very pricey and I think shipping would cost a lot, but I've will keep on searching for a tree!

• mauirose
    11 years ago

Plant It Hawaii also offers Jaboticaba. Two varieties, last time i checked. Lowe's will take your name and add your tree to the next order they place.

I'd like to learn to graft one day. I love the avo trees that are topworked with different varieties so that something is always in season.

• HawaiiFruitGrower
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mauirose, I may think about doing that, and yes grafting is something you should learn, I practice a lot on avocados and citrus, one day I will perfect my grafting skills!

• HawaiiFruitGrower
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So would lowes charge extra for the plant?

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH