Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bananajoe_gw

Tomato question

bananajoe
18 years ago

Yesterday I had a friend ask me about growing tomatoes in a tropical climate. Perhaps you good folks in the Hawaii can help. answer this. Here on the west coast of Canada Tomato plants are annuals and have to replaced each year. In a tropical climate such as your's, do tomatoes grow year round and keep producing fruit? If so how long do they normally last before they start to decline? Cheers, Joe , Salt Spring Island, B.C., Canada

Comments (7)

• honu
    18 years ago

I only have experience growing organically in Hawaii, so my tomatoes might last about as long as mainland ones do, or shorter, usually brought down by disease after a reasonable harvest period, since I don't use any chemicals. The frequent night rains and humidity encourage fungal disease, and the abundant year-round pests help to spread disease or cause entry wounds. However, I can just keep replanting, and grow tomatoes all year round.
    There is a variety, Peron Sprayless, that I have yet to try... this is supposed to be extremely disease tolerant, so I am curious how long this one can keep going.

• bananajoe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I will forward this to him. I wish I was in Hawaii right now, it's my favourite place in the world! I love Foster's garden and Lyon Arboretum. Cheers, Joe

• aloharuby
    16 years ago

I am on Oahu's Windward side fronting a small lake/pond, so the weather is moderate compared to other parts of Hawaii. I've tried growing tomatoes before in another part of our town that was much hotter. The birds usually got to the tomatoes before we could, along with caterpillars, slugs, etc. We just moved to this area and in the spring I planted a small 4" potted roma tomato I got from a local nursery. I put it into a very large pot where I had a huge healthy basil plant, as the tomato grew the basil curled up and died. Later I found out that the tomato sucked the nutrients out of the soil. My roma has been growing and producing all summer long! My question is: When will it stop? It is in front of a fenced lanai so after it out grew the tomato cage, I began tying it up to the fence, it is over 12 feet wide! Yikes, when will it stop? I am thinking of pulling it up soon - at least by October, is that a good thing?

• hotzcatz
    16 years ago

Why pull it up? It's making tomatoes isn't it? It could last for several years and tomatoes are tasty! If it is taking up too much space, just send the vines back the other way.

The only reason to pull up a tomato plant is if it isn't making tomatoes anymore or if it has died.

• Fooj
    10 years ago

Novice at growing tomatoes. Why are there few to no flowers on my plants? Square foot gardening type soil, organic compost, drip irrigation. Is it too hot for flowering in July/August? SanMarzano and Burpee Big Boy plants from seedlings purchased at Home Depot.

• hotzcatz
    10 years ago

The plant may not be old enough to make flowers yet? Otherwise, it may lack some nutrients, but if you have compost, then there should be all the nutrients available. How long have you been waiting for the flowers?

Sponsored