Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tall Coconut Growth Rate

Posted by AndyAndy 6bMI (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 22, 05 at 14:30

This may seem like a question for the palm forum but I'm looking for the experience of someone who lives in Hawaii.
I had a "tall" variety coconut shipped to me from Hawaii back in April and its growth rate has amazed me. When I received it it was about 10 inches tall. It is now close to 4 feet tall and still growing. of cource it is inside now as it's 30 degees out here in Michigan. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how fast these can grow in Hawaii. Mine could easily end up growing to be 5 feet tall in its first year. I have to believe these can grow to be 7-8 feet tall in a year there. I'm just curious to see how mine compares to ones in their natural envirnment.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tall Coconut Growth Rate

Aloha Andy,

The first seven to twelve feet is really fast since it is just the leaves. Once it reaches the length of one full grown leaf (up to about twelve feet long) then the trunk starts growing and that is pretty slow. It will still keep putting out the long ten to twelve foot leaves, but the trunk won't grow that much per year. Coconuts don't ever stop growing, though, so eventually you may have to build a conservatory for it to live in.

A hui hou,
Cathy

o
RE: Tall Coconut Growth Rate

Aloha-
Thank you for the information. Would you please answer a couple more questions for me. My coconut is still growing fairly quickly. The last full frond to emerge is about 42 inches long (measured from the base of the original nut to the tip) It is not split into the "adult" looking fronds. The new one which is about 33 inches and growing has not split yet. The growing season here is much shorter (June-September). Any ideas when the new fronds will take on the splitting "adult looking" shape. The whole plant has put out 5 fronds in it's life the new one will make 6.

thanx, Andy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here