Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
banyan_gw

Neonotonia vine on Maui, and climate

banyan
19 years ago

Kia Ora Hawaiians,

I am a farmer in New Zealand. I have several kgs of Neonotonia wightii (Glycine) seed which I was intending to trial as a pasture plant and green manure. Then I found the pictures on the hear.org website of this thing doing the kudzu act act 2000-4000 feet on Maui, and the photographer suggested I do not plant it.

Can anyone tell me anything about this vine on Maui? Is it as bad as the pictures suggest, or is it more localised. Also, how cold is it at 4000 feet? I imagine it is still significantly warmer than my site here in temperate NZ, but its hard for me to get a good comparison. This vine is a summer grower, so possibly summer temps may be the most important. My mid summer mean temps are high 78F, low 60F, mid winter high 60F, low 42F. There is never frost. Bananas do grow here, but only summer ripened are truly edible. I grow cherimoya, avocado and tamarilo commercially as well as mainly sheep and cattle.

What is the climate like at 4000 feet on Maui? I'm guessing the winters are warmer, but summers probably a little cooler than here. Can anyone help me?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz